The biggest dilemma you’ll have in South Africa‘s seaside city is which beach to pick: Camps Bay or Clifton? Bantry or Boulders? Luckily, we’ve drawn a line in the sand.
Few coastal cities rival Cape Town for scenic splendour – where cliffs converge most dramatically at the Twelve Apostles mountain range, overlooking Camps Bay. Sandy beaches are plentiful, with the four coves of Clifton calling Cape Town’s smart set and the sheltered shores of Boulders Beach home to an equally well-suited population of African penguins. Whichever you choose, spellbinding views abound. Here’s how to explore the shore of South Africa’s most cosmopolitan city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Scenester-summoning Sea Point is the location of this 43-room boutique hotel, where everyone gets a balcony, a block back from Bantry Bay – arguably the most sheltered spot in Cape Town. Rooms are lightly nautical – reffing the coast outside – and downstairs, there’s a duo of dining spots at brunch favourite JARRYDS and Italian restaurant, Ariel. Here, you can feast on Neapolitan food by way of New York with dishes such as fire-roasted chicken and pulled-lamb pizza rosso. A curated boutique in the lobby showcases local designers, with statement sarongs and kaftans – perfect for the beach.
The Discovery Channel has rated Clifton’s beaches – there are four in total – among the top in the world. So, what better setting to practice some beach yoga? The OM Revolution team hosts classes on Clifton’s Third Beach, which is smaller and more private than the others. The sand, scenery and sunset are a relaxing set up for one-hour vinyasa classes, held each Sunday night.
Guests at Ellerman House – next to upscale Clifton – have a choice of 13 period-style rooms, as well as two private luxury villas which offer sweeping views of the Atlantic. Gardens and terraced lawns – inspired by Cape Town’s Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden – also slope down to the sea. Complimentary yoga is held each morning and art tours of the owner’s celebrated in-house collection are on offer. South Africa’s other national obsession – wine – is showcased at the state-of-the-art tasting room, with 7,500 bottles to sample.
Your Ocean Experiences outing begins with a 30-40 minute boat ride from the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront – with great views of Table Mountain and Twelve Apostles along the way – to the Cape Fur Seal colony at Strawberry Rocks. It’s possible you’ll also see whales, dolphins, penguins and – if you’re really lucky – the elusive sunfish. Upon arrival, you’ll have around 30 minutes to snorkel among the seals. Strict conservation rules apply: no feeding or using food to attract marine animals.
The Marly in Camps Bay is named after the French royal residence, Château de Marly – built in the 17th-century for the self-indulgent Louis XIV. Naturally, opulence is on the cards at this Cape Town residence, set between the Twelve Apostles mountain range and Camps Bay beach. Baptiste Restaurant serves seafood and sushi – and you’ll also be treated to a smart spa, 360º Chinchilla rooftop lounge with views of Cape Town and rooms surveying the mountain or sea.
Huge granite boulders protect this beach from the coastal wind, which appeals to winter-fleeting travellers who want nothing more than to splash their feet in calm ocean water. Be prepared to share the beach with other happy-footed creatures who may also waddle by, too. Adjacent to the beach is the penguin colony of Simon’s Town, home to over 2,500 resident and endangered African penguins – there are boardwalks and viewing platforms designed specifically for unobtrusive penguin viewing. It’s an hour outside of Cape Town CBD by car, so take a picnic to make a day of it.
The five-star boutique lodge – at the foot of Chapman’s Peak – sits on a pebbled beach where you get panoramic views of picturesque Hout Bay harbour, the dramatic Sentinel mountain peak and the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean-facing Luxury Island Suites feature a private balcony, wood-burning fireplace and access to a heated pool. The romantic fairy-lit Chef’s Warehouse offers a fine-dining experience on an expansive deck next to the ocean to wind down on.
If you’re from a snowy country and have never been on a jet ski, think of it as a snowmobile but on water. Hire your steed from PS Adventures to enjoy waterside views of the fashionable Granger Bay suburb, Table Bay and Robben Island – where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years –as you skim across the surface in your swimsuit. Life jackets and instruction provided.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.