Scenic cities the world over are slightly jealous of Cape Town’s good looks – and these home-from-home hideouts will show you why with a taste of local life.
Wedged between Table Mountain and the oldest working harbour in South Africa, Cape Town is undoubtedly one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Its history is reflected in museums such as Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years in prison. Kirstenbosch Gardens has a wealth of native flora and picnic settings, and myriad theatres, galleries, restaurants and clubs celebrate the city’s mix of cultures. Oh, and did we mention there’s a beach for every day of the week – but not quite as many as its apartments… You’ll feel at home in no time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set in a small tree-filled garden in the cobbled historic quarter of the Cape Town city centre, Labotessa packs sophistication and comfort behind a 17th-century facade. Richly decorated suites have high ceilings and generous proportions. Some are self-catering – including the glamorous Presidential Suite, with three en-suite bedrooms, entertainment areas over two floors, a full kitchen and private splash pool. Views take in the Great Church, Lion’s Head and Table Mountain. The Café & Terrace, spilling onto Church Square, is famous for its eggs Benedict and all-day breakfasts, and a good place to enjoy local beer and wine as the sun sets.
Rising above Sea Point with views of the ocean, a short drive from the city centre and V&A Waterfront, these 12 apartments are in a prime position for business or play. They’re spread over two buildings – Elements on Main, with luxury and deluxe suites, and Elements on Battery, with luxury and penthouse suites. All have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, open-plan living areas with designer kitchens and balconies to take in the view. Decor is coolly understated in blues, browns, olives and greys. There’s daily housekeeping, concierge support and airport transfers on request.
The Towers are 21km (13mi) from Cape Town airport in Century City, a city within the Cape Town metropolis. They stand directly across the way from Canal Walk, one of the biggest regional shopping centres in Africa, with not just retail spaces, restaurants and movie houses, but an award-winning wetlands conservation area rich in birdlife and indigenous plants. Rooms are comfortably furnished, with open living areas and well-equipped kitchens – though there are restaurants nearby, and the Coffee Lounge at the entrance serves continental breakfasts with freshly baked pastries.
This gently curved building above a pool terrace is a short drive from the V&A Waterfront. It blends comfort with style in studios and up to three-bedroom apartments plus penthouses, in quiet sandy shades or contemporary monochromes lit with flashes of colour. All are fully self-catering, but there are restaurants, coffee shops and a food court on the ground floor.
Ringed by the quiet waters of the canal that gives Canal Walk shopping centre its name, Island Club in Century City is a relaxed aparthotel with kitchen-kitted rooms and contemporary one, two and three-bedroom apartments. It has its own gym, an outside pool and an indoor heated lap pool. A bridge takes you directly to the centre with its myriad shops, eateries, bars and movie houses. The V&A Waterfront is a short drive away, as is Blouberg Beach, with its famous view across the water to Cape Town and Table Mountain.
These luxury apartments are on the banks of the Grand Canal in Century City, a short drive from Cape Town airport, the City Bowl and Blouberg Beach. The 28 suites are comfortably furnished in shades of grey with touches of plum and burgundy, and all are fully self-catering. Babysitting is available, and off-site bowling, along with all the attractions of Canal Walk centre, are within reach.
Named for the Glen Forest they border, these apartments look on to the sea, the Twelve Apostles range and Lion’s Head. They’re sleekly furnished, with cowhide throws on pale tiled floors and huge windows. A zen-style saltwater pool lies alongside a thicket. Arrangements have been made for Glen guests to dine at the restaurants of The Bay Hotel and Von Kampz Restaurant when they don’t feel like eating in, and you also get use of the tennis club behind the Bay Hotel and Camps Bay squash club, too.
Set close to the V&A Waterfront on the city’s vibrant foreshore, this property has 40 comfortable rooms (fresh in white furnishings, with touches of sage and soft blue), and 16 luxury suites with lounges and well-equipped kitchenettes. When you’re not in the mood to cook, the sophisticated Canal Cafe serves simple but stylish dishes above a serene view of the canal.
Part of the Island Club complex, these comfortable and affordable apartments are set among 8km (5mi) of waterways in well-kept gardens, which can be spied from balconies or patios. Open plan with kitchens, they’re in walking distance of a choice of eateries and entertainment venues. You have access to a gym, an outdoor pool and an indoor training pool, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.