The African continent is filled with the weirdest and most wonderful countries, and as such offers tourist experiences unmatched anywhere else on the planet. Here’s our list of 18 crazy things to do in Africa before you’re 30.
Experience an Authentic Cultural Interaction With the Maasai in Kenya
The Maasai people share a history filled with tales of courageous warriors and today many of them live as nomadic cattle herders. Visitors to Kenya can go on a walking safari with a Maasai guide or book a cultural excursion where you’ll visit Maasai villages and homes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a Dip in the “Devil’s Pool,” Victoria Falls
Swimming in the “Devil’s pool,” situated in the world’s largest waterfall, has to top the list for adrenaline junkies visiting Africa. The natural pool is formed by a protruding rock lip which ensures visitors don’t topple over the edge. There’s definitely an element of danger but, at the same time, it’s one of the most amazing experiences you’ll ever have.
Trail Mountain Gorillas in Bwindi Forest National Park, Uganda
These majestic animals, with their human-like characteristics and behavior, are something to be seen. Bwindi Forest National Park in Uganda is home to four families of gorillas, making up over 300 individuals, and experts will guide visitors through the rainforest in search of them. Gorilla numbers have been decreasing for years but funds from these tours aid in their conservation.
Sandboard on Some of the World’s Tallest Dunes in Namibia
Namibia boasts some of the tallest sand dunes on the planet, and sandboarding down them is possibly the most fun you can have in a desert. First timers are welcome and the action is very similar to snowboarding. Tours can be booked through Desert Explorers, and they last approximately three hours and include a light lunch as well as transport.
Walk With the San People in the Kalahari Desert
The San people occupied the Kalahari Desert long before anyone else and still live a nomadic, hunter-gatherer lifestyle not influenced by Western civilization. A walk through the bush with them will open your eyes (and ears) to the African bushveld. From spotting birds and animal tracks to setting traps and hunting for food, their knowledge of the wild is extraordinary.
Climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
Mount Kilimanjaro towers over Tanzania and its peak can be seen from Kenya. It is, after all the highest mountain in Africa. It’s the ultimate achievement for adrenaline seekers but you can’t show up unprepared—adequate training and research is of paramount importance.
River Raft Down the Zambezi, Zambia
Whether you spend a day or four on the trip, rafting down the Zambezi promises to be as exciting as it sounds. During the day visitors will experience the best rapids the river has to offer while overnight visitors spend evenings relaxing next to the campfire and star gazing. Zambezi Rafting has been in business for over 20 years and they have a range of tours and trips to choose from.
Swim With Whale Sharks in Mozambique
Tofo in Mozambique is one of the best spots to find whale sharks. These massive fish grow between 4.5 and six meters (15-20 feet) in length and are herbivores; they are, however, considered sharks and not whales. Diving with these giants feels otherworldly and is sure to top the list of your most memorable travel experiences.
Witness the Great Migration
Each year more than a million wildebeest and thousands of zebra make their way across the Serengeti in search of greener pastures. The six-month-long journey starts in the southern Serengeti and moves all the way to the Maasai Mara, and, if you’re in the right spot at the right time, you’ll get to witness it.
Ride in a Mokoro Through the Okavango Delta
A mokoro is a traditional canoe originally fashioned from hollowed-out tree trunks. Today, you’re more than likely to travel in a fiberglass version, but it’s nonetheless an incredible trip. A standing guide steers the mokoro with a pole while guests stay seated and take in the scenery of the Okavango Delta. You’re likely to spot hippos and crocodiles, which might sound terrifying but once you’re on the water the fear fades away.
Spot the Big Five in the Kruger National Park, South Africa
When visiting the Kruger National Park in South Africa, keep your eyes open for lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and buffalo. As far as safaris go, the Kruger National Park offers such a variety of landscapes that you’ll be spoiled for choice. Qualified rangers will guide you to the best spots, but if you prefer, driving is also an option.
Go Island-Hopping in Seychelles
The Seychelles archipelago consists of more than a 100 islands, each with a unique offering. From watching hawksbill turtles roaming on the white beaches to exploring Creole heritage, the Seychelles is paradise on earth. Mahé, Praslin, and La Digue are the main islands but travelers can visit the smaller, lesser-known islands as well.
Explore Réunion Island
Only a four-hour flight from Johannesburg, this tranquil island is quickly appearing on tourist radars, so visit sooner rather than later. Explore the island on a three-day hike through lush mountains or take a helicopter ride over the island’s live volcano, which is bound to get the adrenaline pumping.
Go Hot Air Ballooning in the Serengeti
A hot air balloon safari over the vast plains of the Serengeti is unlike any other experience in Africa. Guests arrive at dawn as the balloon is inflated and then, as the sun rises, the adventure begins. Each flight is unique as all is dependent on the wind but you’re guaranteed to have the trip of a lifetime. The wildlife is rife and the scenery is out of this world, and after landing, guests are treated to a champagne breakfast to celebrate the morning.
Go on a Volcano Adventure at Erta Ale, Ethiopia
Situated in the Danakil Desert, the Erta Ale is one of only a few active volcanoes on the planet. The lava lake surrounding it is a spectacle in itself, as vibrant colors mix together to create a scene unlike any other. Visitors can spend three days and nights exploring the summit of Erta Ale.
Travel by Train in Madagascar
Not your conventional public transport, the Manakara Express is a French-colonial railway that rides from Manakara on the Madagascan coast to Fianarantsoa. This old railway travels slowly and although the total trip is only 160 kilometers long, it can take 12 hours (or more) to complete. It’s not glamorous at all, but an unforgettable experience nonetheless and one of the best ways to see the beautiful vistas Madagascar has to offer.
Ride a Dromedary in Morocco
Camels in Morocco are called dromedaries, due to them only having one hump. These comedic animals are a popular mode of transport for locals and tourists can hitch a ride across the desert on the back of a dromedary. What’s more characteristic of Morocco than a caravan of “camels” trekking through the desert, their long shadows creating the only shade for miles?
Witness a Voodoo Ceremony in Ouidah, Benin
Voodoo is widely practiced in Benin, but we’re not talking about the kind where a needle is stuck into a doll. Voodoo in Benin is a cultural practice which broadly involves the performance of rituals in order to reach the divine. Visitors to the small town of Ouidah can attend the annual Voodoo Festival and witness these traditional dances and animal slaughtering, which all combine philosophy and medicine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.