There’s no shortage of amazing road trips that start in Cape Town—The West Coast and the Garden Route may be two of the most popular routes to follow—but the Western Cape’s Overberg region is perhaps the most scenic, accessible, and diverse of the lot. Just 90 minutes from the centre of Cape Town, end up at the foot of dramatic mountains, drive through endless fields of canola, and get up close and personal with the best nature and wildlife that the Cape has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Zipline between spectacular mountain cliffs in Elgin
Whether looking for a spike of adrenaline or simply wanting the chance to take in some of the Cape’s most stunning and unspoilt scenery, head to the Cape Canopy Tours. There are 13 elevated platforms set on the cliffside of a pristine valley. Whip between them attached only to a thin wire. Adrenaline junkies can push their limits on some of the country’s longest and fastest zip line routes while the more timid can limit their speed and take in the remarkable views instead.
Mountain bike epic trails in Grabouw
The once sleepy town of Grabouw is positioning itself as the mountain biking epicentre of the Cape. As a regular feature on the world famous Cape Epic route, it’s hardly surprising. The Trail’s End Bike Hotel is an adventure centre in the heart of the action and they rent out bicycles, offer advice on routes for all skill levels, and provide warm, comfortable accommodations to clean up in following an incredibly muddy ride through the hills.
Hike to waterfalls in Swellendam
Set at the foot of the Langeberg Mountains, Swellendam is the perfect retreat for outdoor lovers. There are endless hikes up into the mountains just a short drive from the quaint town, but the most accessible and beautiful may be those that wind their way through Marloth Nature Reserve. Hikes there go past waterfalls and offer panoramic views of the Overberg coastline.
Ride Fat Bikes down vertical dunes in Gansbaai
Gansbaai may be best known for its white shark diving, but those who aren’t fans of getting close to the large predators, there’s an equally exhilarating activity to embark on—cycling on the isolated dunes on Fat Bikes. Guided tours go along secluded paths and down near vertical drops until the end of the route at one of the most secluded beaches on the coastline.
Taste wine and dine out at dozens of estates
There is no shortage of wine farms in the Overberg region. Each offers something unique, from vast tasting menus at Creation to the classic high-end cellars of Bouchard Finlayson. It’s worth seeking out several estates on a guided or self-drive wine tour. Those who don’t want to drive, Hermanus Wine Hoppers goes between the most popular of these on a custom tour.
Whale watching in Hermanus
Hermanus is the largest town in the Overberg region, and much of its popularity stems from its legendary whale watching opportunities. Between June and December each year, it’s common to spot these magnificent beasts frolicking in the bay. It’s one of the most celebrated locations for whale watching in the world. There are several companies that offer boat excursions to get you close to the whales, but it’s also one of the best places to experience land-based viewings.
Cheese tasting in Stanford
The small, family style atmosphere at Klein River Cheese may make it seem low-key, but they supply some of the country’s biggest supermarkets and retailers with their various cheeses. They are open to the public and visitors can pop in to purchase directly from the factory, taste a selection of their products, or picnic on the lawns in the idyllic surroundings just outside the small town of Stanford.
Sample abalone at a fascinating abalone farm
Abalone is one of the most sought-after delicacies around the world, and as a result, it’s become increasingly endangered. Illegal poaching has placed this sea snail in the spotlight in South Africa, but at Heart of Abalone in Hermanus, learn more about these unique creatures in a fascinating tour and legally sample a dish that many consider the most exceptional in the world.
Take an exhilarating boat ride around the southernmost point of Africa
The most southern tip of Africa is at Cape Agulhas, and it’s possible to visit the rough location where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans are presumed to meet. The sleepy seaside towns in this region are fascinating to visit, but for a truly thrilling way to experience their beauty, head out to sea in a speedboat operated by one of the many local companies.
Drive the quiet backroads of the Overberg
Perhaps the best thing to do in the Overberg is to simply drive the spectacular rolling hills through vast fields of canola. The roads in the region are high quality, and there’s also a chance of stumbling across some lesser-driven dirt roads that offer even more atmosphere. But as far as weekend road tripping from Cape Town goes, there are few drives better than those through the Overberg.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.