Planning a trip to Marrakech doesn’t mean that you have to stay within the ancient city walls and spend all your time in the souks. Explore a changing city with much modern and innovative architecture.
Marrakech is a city that appears to have barely changed for centuries and has long been known for its old world charm. In the city centre its buildings are chaotically interwoven, with life bustling beneath them in the same way it has done for hundreds of years. But look just beyond the walled city of the medina and you’ll discover a raft of modern architecture that’s just as exciting as the souks of the old town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Marrakech Menara Airport
You don’t have to go far to experience some of Marrakech’s finest modern architecture; Marrakech Menara Airport itself is a sight to behold, so make sure you stop to appreciate it as you pass through. Its extension, completed in 2008, completely modernises the airport with a facade that paints a contemporary view of Moroccan design while paying homage to its history. Made up of a distinctive geometric pattern with intricate cut outs, it reflects traditional Islamic design. Depending on the time of day, it will cast beautiful shadows across the entrance’s walkway. Look out for the glass-dome atrium too – an impressive finishing touch to a decidedly stress-free airport.
A private residence originally built for a Belgian film director by architect Guilhem Eustache, Fobe House lies just outside the main centre of Marrakech. Looking more like a futuristic film set than a home, it has a stark white design that contrasts with the barren desert landscape it is situated within. With a main house, an out-house for the caretaker, a garage and a pool house, the complex is made up of a number of buildings independent of each other, with their own functions. A far cry from the historic buildings located in the centre of Marrakech, together they form what is one of the most unique properties in Morocco.
Yves Saint Laurent Museum
The Yves Saint Laurent Museum is one of the most-visited in Marrakech for good reason, even just the building itself is reason enough to go. Although striking in design, it blends seamlessly into its environment. The terracotta bricks which make up to the top half of the building’s exterior are made from Moroccan soil, fabricated by local artisans, while the terrazzo tiles used for the bottom half are constructed from locally sourced marble – facts that Saint Laurent himself would surely appreciate.
Museum of African Contemporary Art Al Maaden
Since its opening in 2018, the Museum of African Contemporary Art Al Maaden has celebrated innovative work by artists across all of Africa in its humble yet distinctive building just southeast of the Medina. Similar to the YSL Museum, MACAAL is a clearly modern building, yet it pays tribute to the traditional architecture of Marrakech. The terracotta bricks used for the exterior are an homage to the pinky orange hue which makes up much of the city, while the squared edges and plain front of the facade is reminiscent of the old city walls which envelop the Medina. Visit MACAAL for the building, stay for the art.
Comptoir des Mines Gallery
Located in Gueliz, the Comptoir des Mines Gallery is a window into Marrakech’s French colonial past. Built in 1932 at the height of the Art Deco era, it once housed a mining company but is now a contemporary art gallery, promoting the work of artists from Morocco and beyond. The building’s exterior is fairly modest with clean straight lines and angles, but inside is where it really shines – you’ll find marbled walls, Art Deco light fittings and best of all, a sweeping modernist staircase. Back in the 1930s this building portrayed a new Marrakech, a city evolving from its ancient traditions and this notion rings true today in the contemporary art on its walls, which look to the future while acknowledging the city’s rich history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.