Located on the top of Morocco, looking directly towards the Strait of Gibraltar, Tangier is a city rich in history, stunning architecture, and unforgettable views. While you might be staying in the Medina and visiting the American Legation of Tangier or further west, admiring Cap Spartel, where the Mediterranean and the Atlantic meet, you will certainly need time for a break. So here are the best cafés in town!
This was originally Burton Walter Harris’s house in Tangier, but now it has turned into this extremely exclusive and sophisticated hotel. The terrace area is gorgeous with a view over the pool, palm trees, and Tangier hills for warmer days, and they also have an indoor bar with a fireplace for colder days. On the menu, you will find coffee, pastries, biscuits, and much more.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This café is more on the fancy and pricey side, but it’s definitely worth it. If you are looking for a modern place to have a drink and cake with free WiFi, this is it! Although they serve lunch and dinner, their main specialties are pastries and cakes. The perfect time to go there would be for breakfast.
This is the most famous café in Tangier and the reasons are endless. With a view directly facing Europe—where you can actually see land from the café—you will not find a café like this one anywhere else in the world. It was founded in 1921 and since then, serves fresh mint tea and snacks.
Cafe Baba is another historic café in Tangier. Founded in 1943, it is hidden in the Medina. Everything about it is special. As soon as you step inside, you feel the atmosphere of the 1940s as though the café has stopped in time. The chairs, tables, windows, and walls are quite old, and you can see on the wall all the celebrities that have visited in the past. It is definitely a place to check out and its been frequented by many popular faces like The Rolling Stones, the kings of Spain and Sweden, and many more.
Le Coeur de Tanger
This café is located in Ville Nouvelle, and is distinct due to its terrace on the first floor overlooking the city. They serve drinks with tapas that you can enjoy while listening to the café’s live band. It is the perfect place to relax and take in the beauty of Morocco.
This café is located near the Hercules Caves. It is worth the visit because they serve Moroccan pastries and tea at a very decent price, and surely you will get hungry after all that sightseeing!
Gran Café de Paris
This cafe is the perfect representation of past meets present. You walk in and you directly are drawn to the burgundy leather chairs, the professional waiter, and the wooden walls. You can sit indoors for the 1920s experience, or outdoors to watch youngsters strolling through la Vila Nouvelle, the new city of Tangier. They are mostly famous for their café au lait (latte), Moroccan mint tea, and fresh pressed juice.
Cap Spartel Cafe & Restaurant
This is another great restaurant located right outside Cap Spartel, and directly where the Atlantic and the Mediterranean meet. It is truly a wonderful place to visit due to its special location, just like Cafe Hafa. They serve all kinds of beverages, cakes, and pastries, and also have a restaurant area if you are a little bit more hungry.
Panorama is a modern café located on the seafront of Tangier, with a magnificent view of the Mediterranean. It is great for train travelers as it is right next to the train station and it opens at 7 a.m. Here, you will be able to enjoy a delicious latte with pastries of your choice.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.