Casablanca is the largest city of Morocco and is quite the place to have an impressive date. Although being the economical capital means it is more expensive than other cities, like Fez or Tangier, there are lots of amazing places to explore and rediscover. From going to the beach, to visiting art galleries in cathedrals, here are the best free and cheap date ideas to try in Casablanca!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Going to the beach is always a fun time and a tried and tested date idea. You can stroll along the shore, the sand between your toes, and marvel at the waves of the Atlantic. You can also spice things up by bringing along a game to play, or a blanket and some snacks and drinks for a romantic picnic by the sea.
Cinema, Movie Theater
The most famous cinema in Casablanca is Megarama, in Ain Diab. It is relatively cheap and you can choose from a selection of movies, which they even play in English sometimes. After your stroll along the beach, grab a bite to eat and catch a movie.
There are two malls in Casablanca, Anfaplace Shopping Center and Morocco Mall. In Anfaplace, you’ll be able to wander the mall, grab a Starbucks or a cinnamon roll, or go to the outside area that’s decorated with fountains. You can access the beach through there and even have a quick dip! In Morocco Mall, you can watch the biggest musical fountain in Africa dance to the rhythm of popular songs, grab a coffee or even watch a 3D movie at the iMax theatre.
Hassan II Mosque
The mosque of Hassan II is the perfect place if you want to impress your date. It’s the biggest mosque in Africa and the second biggest in the world. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to step inside if you are not Muslim, but you will still be able to take in the beautiful structure, and the details of the building.
Like most Moroccan cities, Casablanca has a Medina, which was the original Casablanca. Here you will be able to take in the beautiful old houses, and transport back to the 15th century, when the big clock and narrow streets were the main areas of leisure. You can also do some shopping, as the small streets are full of shops that sell leather goods, wooden decorations and other traditional pieces.
After the French settled in Morocco, they decided to build a ‘New City’ right outside the Medina, which made Casablanca bigger. This stunning part of the city is absolutely mesmerising, as it houses one of the oldest buildings built by the French Protectorate back in the 1920s. These buildings mix European and Middle Eastern architectural styles, giving them truly unique features.
Parc de la Ligue Arabe
This park, designed back in 1918, is Casablanca’s biggest open space. With a long path lined by palm trees on either side, and a lot of greenery, it’s the perfect place to find a bench and relax. After strolling through the long park, walk to the Cathedral Sacré Coeur, the most famous and largest cathedral in Casablanca. It is beautifully decorated with colourful glass, and hints back to the French Protectorate. Often, they also organise art exhibitions in the cathedral with contemporary paintings of up-and-coming artists.
Place Mohammed V
This famous square is full of administrative buildings with astounding architecture. It’s amazing to see buildings from the 20th century designed by the famous and talented Henri Prost, or the statue of Marshal Lyautey, the first French Resident-General in Morocco from 1912 to 1925.
Botanical Garden, Forest
If you want to drop all the main tourist attractions, and go that extra mile with your date, you might want to venture to the forest of Bouskoura, just outside of Casablanca. If you’re sporty types you can go on a hiking date or, if you’re more romantic, enjoy a picnic date in the outdoors.
If you’d like to soak up some culture, consider going on a date to the Museum of Moroccan Judaism, which presents the daily life of Jews in Morocco and how they influenced Moroccan culture and vice-versa. The rooms exhibit paintings, clothing pieces, ornaments and much more. Another great museum is Musée Abderrahman Slaoui, located 20 minutes from the Medina, in a 1940s Art Deco building. Here you will find vintage jewellery and art pieces by Marjolle and Dinet.
This is the biggest market in Casablanca; whatever you are looking for, you’ll find here. Rare spices, vintage goods, colourful décor, gorgeous fabrics and much more. If you get tired of the crowded market, you can walk about five minutes to Hotel Transatlantique, built in 1922, to grab a quick drink and enjoy the view from the terrace. This hotel was also famous among musicians like Josephine Baker and Edith Piaf.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.