The coast of Accra has some attractive beach resorts complete with bars and other attractions for tourists and visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the reasons why Tawala Beach stands out as one of the go-to beach hangouts on the low-lying Accra shoreline.
Tawala No Wahala
Large, light-brown-wooden gates open to a plus-sized parking lot where a vested gentleman coordinates visitors. The cool-Atlantic zephyr tips the coconut trees and tickles your pores as the fine sand caress tired feet, setting guests into the mood of a lovely soothing experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The intricate-bamboo labyrinth and warm-thatch huts aside, short, blue, hand-painted concrete walls separate the various sitting areas from cuisine room. Meanwhile, bars animate the sections and give the space an inviting aura.
The parking lot’s walls glow with funny paintings of women with distended breasts and backsides, adding colour to the sea-themed patterns that lead to the bold inscription: ‘Tawala. No Wahala’, meaning ‘Tawala. No Problems’.
A Lovely Beach in Your Reach
After taking a break from the busy Accra traffic, head towards Teshie. Tawala Beach can be found at the tail end of the juncture where La Polyclinic is situated.
A unique fact about Tawala: it is one of the few beaches that have sections specifically catering to children. With a children’s playground containing colourful seesaws and slides to keep kids occupied, adults can take to the bar or dance into the airy expanse of the shore.
Fantasies, Food, & Drinks
A one-storey guest house to the right of the kids’ spot is almost completed. On the opposite side stands a grill place serving beef, pork, turkey, or chicken cuts cooked atop a charcoal-lit barbecue stove. Not only tasty, the food is also affordable: a plate of rice and chicken goes for GHc20 (4 US dollars) while banku and grilled tilapia sells for just double the cost. Turkey wings and yam will only set you back GHc30 (3 US dollars).
With well-arranged bamboo stools positioned in front of the main bar, bartenders are at patrons’ beck and call to refill empty glasses. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks—local and foreign—like palm wine fill up the wooden shelves. It goes for just GHc8 (2 US dollars).
Music & Marvel
Known for its raving-music and street-dance culture, nearby Labadi Township’s energy bursts into the Tawala reveling. For those who prefer to check out the neighbourhood, visitors will find that there’s almost never a dull moment from the Labadi Beach Hotel to the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel. At the Artists Alliance Gallery, guests can get their hands on some classical-Ghanaian paintings and contemporary-art pieces.
Towards the shore, two rooftops separate a sitting space. At each of these sections, visitors can settle in and meditate to the calmness of the coursing tide. A Bob Marley portrait looks towards kerosene lamppoles on the shore. For smokers, this is one of the friendliest spots in town. Other activities include weekend horseback riding, beach volley on Wednesdays, and regular reggae parties that keep the city up all night.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.