When discussing the most popular dishes in Egypt, kushari will often be the first thing that comes to mind. It’s a mix of rice, spaghetti, small round macaroni, vermicelli, fried onions, black lentils and hummus, topped with thick tomato sauce, garlic and vinegar sauce, and chilli sauce. With so much going into it, putting it together is practically an artform. Here are some of the best places to get your kushari in Cairo.
Koshary El Tahrir has the biggest franchise in Egypt, with more than 15 branches in Cairo alone, including Maadi, Moqattam, Downtown, Nasr City, Heliopolis and Mohandessin. You’ll find plates of all sizes there, and the prices range from EGP10 for the small ones to EGP55 for the family sizes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located in Downtown’s Champollion street, Abou Tarek restaurant is one of the oldest and most famous kushari spots in Cairo, attracting both locals and tourists. This huge building consists of five floors and is always crowded, but the waiters are professional and the service is good. Customers say it’s the best kushari in town, and the experience is totally worth it!
One of the finest kushari places in Cairo. Said Hanafi has nine branches, the most famous of them being the one located in Downtown. The prices range between EGP7 for the small sizes to EGP20 for larger ones.
If you’re a lover of Egyptian street food, then this is your place. In its five Cairo branches, Zooba serves a variety of high-quality dishes, from foul and taameya to kushari. As for the prices, it’s more expensive than other kushari sellers in Cairo, so you can expect to pay around EGP20 for the small sizes.
El Embrator can be found in a four-floor building in Sayeda Zainab, where you can sit and see the mosque while eating. It’s also crowded most of the time, but it’s well managed, with friendly waiters and good service. El Embrator also has six other branches, and you’ll be expected to pay around EGP10–20.
Tom and Basal
This seller has many branches in Cairo’s neighborhoods, so you should be able to find one easily enough. It mainly serves pizza and pies, as well as kushari, and it’s said to be particularly generous when it comes to extra toppings. As for the prices, the small portions cost approximately EGP9, while the large ones are EGP18–20.
Asaad, As Sahel, Cairo Governorate, Egypt, +20 16405
If you’re a big fan of Egyptian cuisine, then this place should be perfect for you. With two branches in Zamalek and Maadi, the restaurant’s menu offers a variety of traditional homemade dishes served in a contemporary setting. As for kushari, the prices range between EGP14 for small plates to EGP72 for family-sized ones.
Located in Shobra El Kheima, one of the most crowded neighborhoods in Cairo, El Khedewy has tried to add some creativity to its kushari. So as well as the normal version of the dish, you’ll find several variations, including oven-baked kushari. Expect to pay around EGP10.
In Front Of Shoubra El Khaymah Metro Station, Shoubra El Khaymah, +2 02 46030159
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.