A vast burial ground for Memphis, the former ancient capital of Egypt, Sakkara (or Saqqara) is a little off the beaten path for most tourists, despite being packed with some seriously impressive antiquities and historical sites. Take this short trip from Cairo for a rewarding, educational adventure.
About 30 kilometres (18.6 miles) south of Downtown Cairo lies Sakkara – a quiet, largely agricultural area between the desert and the Nile. Alongside some spectacular heritage sites, the area also offers a quiet reprieve from the overwhelming capital, where you can laze by a pool, take a desert trek on horseback and pose for pictures without being inadvertently photobombed by a hundred other tourists.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How to get to Sakkara from Cairo
Luckily, Sakkara is considered part of Greater Giza and thus a normal taxi or ride-sharing car can take you there without too much hassle. If you’re stopping a regular white taxi on the street, tell them your destination and make sure the driver is using a working meter and that it’s started as soon as you climb in. If you prefer a guided tour of the area, your hotel should be able to organise a trip, including transportation, or a quick Google search will bring up plenty of independent tour agencies that can take care of your day in Sakkara.
What to do in Sakkara
Boasting a unique combination of antiquities and agriculture, Sakkara will inspire the Indiana Jones in you, letting you lap up the historical significance of the area while offering some spectacular landscapes in the form of both desert and greenery. Whether you’re after a relaxing day away from the big city, or want to see the lesser-known ancient sites of Egypt, there’s something to suit every type of traveller in this nearby destination.
See some of the oldest pyramids in the world
While the Great Pyramids of Giza are on most people’s bucket lists, Sakkara’s Djoser Step Pyramid should be on there too. The oldest recorded all-stone complex, it’s an ancient innovation that would go on to inspire Egypt and the world’s architectural development. Scattered around the Step Pyramid are a handful of other pyramids in various states of disarray, highlighting the importance of this necropolis between Egypt’s Third and Sixth Dynasties. One not to miss is the Pyramid of Unas, the last king of Egypt’s Fifth Dynasty, which you can enter to see some spectacular inscriptions known as the Pyramid Texts – said to be the oldest known religious texts in history.
Visit the Imhotep Museum
At the foot of the Sakkara necropolis – home to the aforementioned pyramids and more – is the Imhotep Museum, named after the ancient Egyptian architect who lead the innovation of building with stone. With six large halls, it’s packed full of antiquities ranging from Ancient Egyptian art and architectural documents and tools to burial objects, statues and manuscripts all discovered in the area.
Go swimming at Sakkara Country Club
On Sakkara’s lush agriculture strip, between multimillion-pound mansions and acres of farm land, you’ll find Sakkara Country Club – a favourite getaway of Cairenes who fancy a break from the city without going too far. Here, for an entrance fee of 300LE (£16), you’ll have access to their sprawling pool, complete with sun loungers, changing rooms, and a bar and restaurant.
Take a dune buggy out into the desert
Sakkara Country Club – along with many other touristic activity agencies in the area – offers the chance to explore the desert landscape on dune buggies and quad bikes. With automatic transition on most of these, even beginners can get a chance to experience the thrill of off-roading among the vast dunes. Keep your cameras ready, as most excursion leaders know the exact spot in the desert from which you can view both the Sakkara pyramids and the Great Pyramids of Giza.
Where to eat in Sakkara
Despite being home to some awe-inspiring and historically significant tourist sites in Egypt, Sakkara is a bit underdeveloped in terms of dining. However, this is quickly changing as the area begins to take its rightful place as a must-see destination for tourists and Egyptians alike. From traditional, locally sourced Egyptian food to international cuisine, there are few spots you can’t miss in Sakkara.
Blue Lotus Guesthouse serves local, organic produce. Situated next to the Sakkara Step Pyramid, this establishment is surrounded by gardens and its own farmland, from which many of the ingredients that make up their fiercely Egyptian menu are picked daily. Restaurant Pharous is best visited when the weather is good, as its sprawling outdoor area is this place’s biggest pull. Head there for table-top grills, bread so fresh it’s baked in front of you and a crisp, cold beer after a long morning of desert discovery.
Confusing in the tastiest possible way, Chez Dawlat Hanem is technically two restaurants fused into one dining experience. On the one hand, you have Egyptian fare that’s comparable to an Egyptian grandma’s – grilled meats, tasty tagines and all manner of mezze dishes that will have you lingering at this flamboyantly decorated restaurant set within a couple of acres of green space. On the other hand, you have some of the most authentic Indian cuisine you’ll find in Egypt – from saucy curries and perfectly baked naan bread to freshly grilled meat loaded with herbs and spices.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.