Around 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Cairo, Dahshour is a desert landscape dotted with some of the greatest surviving evidence of humanity’s development. It’s here that you will see the evolution of the pyramid, and take in the grandeur of Ancient Egypt, away from the crowds that populate the more typical destinations.
Just an hour drive from Downtown Cairo, Dahshour is a must on your trip to Egypt – but there’s a lot more to see and do here than pyramid gazing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How to get to Dahshour from Cairo
Luckily, Dahshour is close enough to Downtown Cairo that no special travel arrangements need to be made. Stop a taxi (make sure the meter is running before you commit to a ride), or enter the destination into any of the well-known ride-sharing apps, and you shouldn’t have any problem. If you prefer a guided tour, your hotel or hostel should be able to recommend a number of guides and agencies that will include transportation in the total cost. Otherwise, a quick web search will reveal lots of packages you can book online.
What to do in Dahshour
Between lush agricultural land served by a network of streams and dazzling desert landscapes, it’s perhaps no surprise that this area was part of Ancient Egypt’s capital, Memphis. In fact, archaeologists and historians continue to unearth more of the ancient site and learn more about the area and the way of life during excavations. Today, farming continues to be the most popular profession in the area, and you’ll feel a fresh breeze as soon as you escape the noise and pollution of the city on your way here. Unfortunately, the rural community doesn’t offer food and beverage options, bar a few local coffeeshops – so pack a lunch, or make plans to visit one of the many traditional restaurants in neighbouring Giza or Sakkara.
Visit the Bent Pyramid of Dahshour
Constructed sometime between 2613 BCE and 2589 BCE, the iconic Bent Pyramid of Dahshour marks the Pharaohs’ first foray away from the stepped-pyramids (seen in the neighbouring Sakkara) and towards the smooth-edged constructions that the world would later see executed perfectly at the Great Pyramids of Giza. Though the mathematics of this structure would ultimately be proven erroneous, this trial is nonetheless a feat in engineering.
Visit the Red Pyramid of Dahshour
Following the aforementioned construction errors seen in the Bent Pyramid, then-King Sneferu ordered another trial – this time, considered successful; it is suspected (though not confirmed) to be the burial site of the ancient ruler. Made of a unique red-tinted limestone, the 105-metre-tall (345-foot) red pyramid is one of few in Egypt that you can actually enter. Inside, you’ll find two chambers and, though they are largely empty and devoid of decoration, the energy in the pyramid’s ancient core is said to be felt by many travellers.
Take a camel or horse ride in Dahshour
Across the whole area, you’ll find tour guides offering horse and camel rides around Dahshour for a novel way to see the sights. Agree your price before you hop aboard your chosen mammal and do take care to choose the guides that appear to treat their animals with care.
Go on a picnic and spot wildlife at Dahshour marshlands
This gorgeous, lush green area, known locally as Berket Dahshour, has been a wildlife-laden escape since ancient times. Visit in spring or autumn when the marshlands turn into lakes, and more than 30 species of birds, 40 types of mammals and scores of amphibians can be spotted there. Pack your picnic and binoculars for this one-of-a-kind experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.