Cairo has long been a favourite destination for culture lovers. The ancient world is ever-present in the Egyptian capital today, and plans to modernise the largest city in the Arab world are set to make future visits even better.
It’s hard to comprehend the size of Cairo. Home to more than 20m residents, the city has been constructed in a haphazard way that doesn’t make much sense. Neighbourhoods each have a distinct feel, making for an interesting experience wherever you end up staying. The size, diversity and somewhat crumbling infrastructure can make it challenging to get around, but these factors make it one of life’s most exhilarating experiences, too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cairo residents know how to get around, and if you find the right guide, it’ll make everything a lot easier. Moreover, the government is fully aware of the unsustainable expansion encroaching beyond the city limits and is now constructing a series of exciting projects that are bringing a holistic approach to living in the city.
A number of these projects – such as a new government district, rapid metro routes and redevelopment of the Giza Plateau – will take a few years to complete, but there is one new addition to Cairo that will thrust it back into the limelight in 2021. Part of the Giza Plateau redevelopment, the Grand Egyptian Museum (Gem) is a vibrant showcase for a new vision for the city. It brings together all the ancient treasures of the country under one roof for the first time, including some valuable pieces from around the world.
The biggest attraction will be the tomb of Tutankhamun and its artefacts, moved for the first time from Luxor. There are internal conversations about how this relocation will impact tourism in other parts of Egypt, but Cairo does boast the expertise that will prolong and maintain the fragile relics.
The wider Giza project will focus on the Great Pyramid complex, the only ancient wonders of the world still standing. The area at the base of the pyramids lacks the majesty of the towering structures around it, and work is underway to make the whole experience of entering the stone tombs a more attractive prospect. Gem will have views of the pyramids, while new hotels are being planned to give guests a sustainable way of seeing into the past.
There is also a modern side of the city to explore. Huge shopping districts cater to every taste, as do a wealth of restaurants. A stroll through Downtown Cairo at night is not for the faint-hearted, but it isn’t the perilous journey into the unknown it once was. The next decade is set to change Cairo forever, but you’ve still got a chance to experience the old-world charm the city is famous for in 2021.
Feel-good places to stay in Cairo
To highlight the many facets of Cairo, we’ve picked out some hotels that offer enriching environments in different settings.
No visit to Cairo is complete without seeing the pyramids – arguably its biggest attraction. So, why not stay in a room with a view? That’s what you get with this unironically named property that is perfect if you’re short on time and only have one thing on your mind. A bonus is that you can watch the spectacular light show that illuminates the pyramids in the evening from your private balcony.
If you still want views of the pyramids but have a bigger budget, this famous hotel in Giza is the place to stay. This five-star hotel offers modern luxury augmented by incredible panoramas and has easy accessibility to landmarks such as the Sphinx and Egyptian Museum. It’s a favourite of dignitaries, celebrities and other high-profile guests, but the real star is the view.
The Culture Trip list features places with a feel-good factor that we can’t wait to visit in 2021 and beyond (once we can travel again). It celebrates travel that’s good and makes you feel good. The destinations are dedicated to sustainability; they offer something new and exciting, or an unforgettable moment that will make us fall in love all over again with the world we’ve missed in 2020.
Culture Trip compiled the list based on insights and recommendations from its global community of travel experts and local insiders, combined with search data from millions of users from around the world to understand interest in those destinations.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.