Senior Director of Content
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 4 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 650k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
As Senior Director of Content, you will oversee all content production teams across Culture Trip globally in a key role in the Content team. You will report to the VP Content and will lead a team consisting of four Directors of Content for each one of our regions: Europe, Middle East and Africa, Americas, Asia Pacific, as well as our 2 ‘showcase’ cities: London and New York.
Creative, communicative and collaborative, you will have a strong background in inspiring storytelling of culture, create article content plans, and work with other editorial staffers (across photography, video and illustration) to produce engaging content.
You should be a confident and diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes, as well as lead a team. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- You will oversee 4 regional teams, and 2 showcase city teams, each comprised of a number of sub-teams, primarily divided by format (articles, videos, photos, illustrations/animations), and between those who create content in-house, and those who oversee remote freelance content creators around the world (‘hubs’).
- You will need to oversee the build out of these teams with top talent from the creative industries and beyond, and will be responsible for the content that they produce.
- You will need to manage, through your team, against production targets, quality goals and budgets to deliver the best possible content experience for our users, whilst not breaking the unit-cost structure that Culture Trip has built.
- You will need to work closely with a number of other teams in the business, including Creative Direction, Content Processes, Content Programmes, Product, and Data teams.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- You should have at least 10 years of experience in publishing, and have led large content creating teams to great success in the past.
- You should have a strong network across the creative industries, and be able to recruit and build teams of top-class talent.
- You should be a good strategic thinker, with a broad base of knowledge across many subject matters relevant to the content you will be overseeing.
- You should be highly analytical, able to analyse the performance of content and make decisions based on data.
- You should be a superb, experienced team manager, able to absorb pressure, work independently where needed, make decisions, motivate people, deal with underperformance where necessary and drive success.
- You should be able to take complex problems and simplify them. You should be excellent at prioritising for yourself and setting priorities for others in your teams.
- You should be an excellent communicator who is able to work collaboratively on problems across multiple departments.
- You should have a very strong action-bias and ability to execute on plans flawlessly.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org , attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your expected salary and notice period. We will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘ Senior Director of Content ’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.