Senior Copy Editor (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 11 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 600k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for a sharp-eyed, diligent senior copy editor to ensure our stories are factually watertight, intelligently structured and sensitively composed. You will supervise the quality of a range of content prior to publication, from in-depth features on international artists to listicles on the top restaurants in your region. You will guarantee that all published material has been proofread according to Culture Trip standards, that impeccable editorial quality is maintained across the board, and that articles are optimised for search engines and social media.
- Edit and proofread the articles published on culturetrip.com, ensuring that they adhere to our house style and contain no grammatical, stylistic, syntactic or factual errors.
- Confidently work with content from across the following verticals: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, books, music, architecture, sports, tech, and health & wellness.
- Monitor the quality of our copy editors’ work and offer regular editorial feedback.
- Assist in the recruitment, onboarding and training of new copy editors.
- Develop and refine a workflow strategy to optimise the copy-editing and proofreading process.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in media/publishing as a copy editor, editorial assistant or sub-editor.
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a sharp eye for typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies.
- Native-level English is essential.
- Excellent self-management and organisational skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Innate understanding of what makes a piece of content shine and how it can engage readers.
- Strong grasp of content that’s optimised for search engines and social media.
- Familiarity with WordPress is highly desirable.
- Academic excellence and a passion for culture and current events are important.
- A self-starting attitude and confidence to interact with writers and commercial partners, in person and by phone or Skype.
- Enthusiasm, adaptability and a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Ease working within a growing global company and liaising across different time zones.
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role.
Make sure you include ‘ Senior Copy Editor (NYC) ’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.