Managing Editor (China)
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an experienced, perfectly bilingual (En-Ch) China Managing Editor for our fast growing editorial team in our London office. You will be a self-starter with an eye for excellent visuals and copy, who is passionate about global and Chinese culture, travel and media, and knows how to turn that interest into brilliant content.
You will know how to stay on top of local trends and always look out for ways to improve what you do.
Start Date: ASAP
- Lead the charge in building out a small China-focused team of for the purpose of growing our Chinese-speaking audience (through Mandarin language content), as well as building our audience of English-speakers who are reading about China (through English language content about China).
- Commissioning new content (both written and video-based) directly into Mandarin from writers across the globe, coordinating the large-scale translation into Mandarin of our existing English-language content, and acting as a liaison person with our office in Shanghai which we plan to open during 2017.
- Write original content from time to time, directly into Mandarin. You should have an excellent understanding of the style and format of content that a Chinese audience expects and be able to recreate that in the articles you commission, as well as a good understanding of the visual language expected by Chinese users of our website. You should also have a detailed understanding of the competitive landscape for content in China across each of our verticals.
- Responsible for the setting up and overseeing of Chinese social media channels for Culture Trip and should have a strong, practical knowledge of these distribution channels.
- Analysing user behaviour and data in determining how content is presented on the website and in our apps and social media channels.
- Setting the tone of our publication in the Chinese-language version so that it retains our core voice.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Journalism or humanities graduate with a portfolio of published work in an editorial context (2-5 years experience)
- Evidence of interest in culture, media and travel; a solid knowledge of Chinese culture and media/social media.
- Native-equivalent English and Mandarin skills are an absolute must.
- Exceptionally strong writer with impeccable spelling and grammar, and the ability to tweak your voice depending on your audience.
- Experienced in leading a team of journalists and social media experts towards these goals, and have strong connections in the Chinese-language media and wider community.
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy
- Solid understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimized content.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Great eye for compelling visuals and the ability to edit images and graphics in line with our house style (Photoshop, Canva).
- Basic HTML skills or willingness to learn quickly.
- Familiarity with WordPress is highly desirable.
- Academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas is important.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones.
- An entrepreneurial self-starter who is excited about building something from the bottom-up.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Managing Editor (China) ’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.