London-Based Freelance Writers
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an experienced freelance writer to produce London showcase content specialising in one or more of the following verticals: travel, food, art, fashion, literature, film, TV, music, architecture, home & design, tech, health & wellness and sports. You will be remotely managed by a Culture Trip Commissioning Editor based in our London office.
Salary: Competitive, with work paid per article
Start Date: 10 September 2017
- Write a contracted number of snappy, shareable stories (in the following formats: news articles, listicles, short features, visual pieces, profiles, interviews), as set by a Culture Trip Commissioning Editor based in London.
- Create great stories, using the following assets produced & sourced by the Writer: sharp copy and license-free imagery and embeds
- Follow Culture Trip’s style guide in the production of all content
- Ensure the regular, consistent submission of all content on a schedule agreed upon with your assigned Commissioning Editor
Desired Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years of experience writing for a variety of online publications on a freelance basis
- A varied portfolio, preferably with a focus in travel and arts & culture writing
- Based in the city they’ll be focussing on; London
- Ability to maintain an authoritative editorial voice across all content
- Ability to work quickly yet thoroughly, producing a large amount of quality content to tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills are an absolute must
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media- and search engine-optimized content
- Working knowledge of WordPress is essential
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV, a short cover letter and providing writing samples or a link to your portfolio.
In your cover letter, make sure to indicate what area your editorial specialism is. Please also state your current salary/freelance rate and any notice period in your email and make sure you include ‘London Showcase Writer’ in the subject line.
Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.