Editorial - NYC
Lead Video Commissioner (Americas)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 11 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 600k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our New York office to develop and execute on a commissioning strategy for online video content for the Americas region.
You will lead a small team including in-house video commissioners, editors and production coordinators, who oversee video output by freelance, remote ‘hub’ videographers based in the Americas. You will help us grow this team as Culture Trip’s output increases for this region.
Creative, communicative and collaborative, you will have a strong background in storytelling, and production management for the region, and work with other editorial staffers (across written content, photography and illustration) to produce engaging content.
You should be a confident and diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes, as well as lead a team. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- Be the lead commissioner of video content across the region you cover, responsible for delivering high quality and engaging video that supports Culture Trip’s mission, and within a tight budget
- Lead the Americas ‘Hubs’ video team, which will consist of Video Commissioners, who oversee 10-20 remote content creators each, as well as in-house production coordination and video editing
- You’ll participate in the hiring of the production and commissioning roles in your team, by interviewing and assessing candidates suitability, you will negotiate and execute their contracts supported by the in-house legal team
- Manage the team, drive and maintain a performance culture in line with the wider business
- Work closely with the Editorial Programme Managers to deliver content according to the needs of the editorial product. For example, produce restaurant content from every major city in your region according to specification
- Devise plans to deliver these Editorial product goals, and manage your team to produce high-quality content at scale, against these priorities
- Deliver Culture Trip’s wider local content offering in your region across numerous verticals: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, books, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness
- Collaborate with the leads of other formats and the in-house creative teams in the Americas team, as well as other regional teams across London and other offices to ensure a consistent product from all teams
- Participate in high-value editorial campaigns, generating ideas from your team and producing commissioned content via the hubs to carry and grow the Culture Trip brand
- Create and own a detailed editorial planner for your region; own the calendar and ensure key events are covered by our content creators
- Work with data, measure and monitor the performance of the content created, analyze results and optimize future commissions according to the insights gathered
- Work with SEO team to identify SEO opportunities in your region, acting on these opportunities by commissioning relevant content
- Drive editorial process, feeding back improvements and needs, driving new tools and ensuring they are implemented effectively
- Liaise with social teams to derive social-first ideas for commissioning
- Deliver commercial content including branded content, affiliate content and hotels content from your region
Desired Skills & Experience:
- You should have 5+ years of operational experience in media and/or digital publishing, including in a team management role. You must be open to new ways of thinking and operating, always challenging yourself
- Experience in having generated video content in the Americas region is essential, you should be able to hit the ground running
- Previous experience of remote workforce management is crucial
- You should be a strong storyteller with an eye for compelling ideas for inspiring content across a selection of locations and interests. You’ll need to know what makes a good story and coach your team to consistently deliver against this standard
- You should have a desire to optimize organizational processes and improve operations
- Demonstrated experience of implementing editorial developments, and heading up operational efforts
- We’re looking for someone with a record of academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas, combined with a passion for culture, travel, food, art, etc.
- Solid experience with data collection and analysis
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential
- An understanding of SEO and the ability to work closely with an SEO specialist to capitalize on search opportunities across your region (preferred)
- We’re looking for an excellent manager who can organize and manage a team of talented, creative people to perform at an exceptional level
- You will need a self-starting attitude, and you’ll need to be organized, results-focused, consultative but decisive
- You should be adaptable, flexible, driven, and passionate. You’ll need intelligence and smarts, but also grit and determination. We’re looking for people who have integrity and a sense of personal responsibility
how to apply
Email us on email@example.com , attaching your CV, any examples of work, and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role.
Make sure you include ‘ Lead Video Commissioner (Americas) ’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.