Junior Video Commissioner (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 600k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We’re looking for an ambitious and experienced professional to join our New York team and manage our freelance copy editors around the world. Diligent and organized, you will be in charge of recruiting remote copy editors, managing their workload of articles that require copy editing, and monitoring at scale the quality of their work. Communicative and dynamic, you will work closely with Culture Trip’s in-house team of commissioning editors, who manage freelance writers worldwide producing article content. Extremely sharp-eyed, you will be periodically tasked with copy-editing content, ensuring it is free of typos, grammatical mistakes, factual errors and formatting issues.
You should be a confident and attentive individual with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
Start Date: ASAP
Junior Video Commissioner (NYC)
- Remotely manage and lead a group of freelance videographers across a number of locations in the Americas
- Develop useful, inspiring and insightful stories to commission across your portfolio of cities/countries
- Manage a series of productions simultaneously
- Recruit freelance videographers on a regular basis or as needed
- Oversee the output of the cities/countries you manage, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content
- You will work with content across the following genres: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, literature, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness
- You will need to evaluate and revise systems under pressing deadlines
Desired Skills and Experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editor or production assistant
- Strong knowledge of the pre-production and production workflow for video
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with video formats
- Superb management, organizational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
- Previous experience managing budgets is a plus
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Passion for culture, travel, food, art, lifestyle
- You need a self-starting attitude and to be confident interacting with writers and potential partners, both in person and over the phone or Skype
- You need to be an enthusiastic and dynamic yet collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role, your current notice period and salary expectations. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Junior Video Commissioner (NYC)‘ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.