Junior Commissioning Editor (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our New York office to join our team of Junior Commissioning Editors who manage content creators around the world. You will oversee the the commissioning, production, editing, publishing and distribution of a large body of content from freelance writers across a wide range of locations, all focused on finding the most amazing differences to be explored in every place they are. We currently have a team of commissioning editors in London, and you would be the first of a growing team in New York City. You would work on a region of the Americas based on your knowledge, expertise and interests.
Applicants with knowledge of one of the following regions are especially encouraged to apply: Canada, the US Midwest, Central America and South America.
You will need to communicate and collaborate with the writers, videographers, photographers and other creative content teams in your region as well as the Junior Commissioning Editors in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
Location: New York City
Starting date: ASAP
Junior Commissioning Editor (NYC)
- You will work with content across the following genres: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, literature, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness
- Use your expertise and deep research to come up with a content plan for the region you look after covering each of these genres.
- Oversee and take part in the recruitment of remote freelance writers on a regular basis to deliver against these plans.
- Oversee the editorial output of your hubs, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content
- Constantly create, evaluate and improve structures and processes to optimise workflows.
- Work alongside our Copy Editors to ensure all content is published free of mistakes and adheres to our in-house style and image guides
- Collaborate with the editorial, commercial, social media and data teams on articles pertaining to specific interests and genres
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 3 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editorial manager or editor
- Excellent management, organisational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling localised content covering a wide array of locations and verticals
- Knowledge of one of the following regions preferred: Canada, the Midwest and Central & South America
- Innate understanding of what makes a great story and how to engage readers with excellent copy
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a sharp eye and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimised content
- Aptitude for web analytics is highly desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Junior Commissioning Editor (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.