Junior Commissioning Editor - Hotels (London)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through our global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10M visitors and 200M social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators. Within the last 9 months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to join a new team of commissioners and writers producing global hotels content for Culture Trip. You will oversee the the commissioning, production, editing, publishing and distribution of the hotels content from freelance writers across a number of countries in the world. You will report to the Head of Content Operations (Europe).
You should be a confident and extremely diligent manager with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things travel and hotel-related, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume and use hotels content to inform and make important travel decisions. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Start Date: ASAP
Junior Commissioning Editor - Hotels (London)
- Provide support for the Head of Content Operations (Europe) in ensuring high quality and efficient production of hotels content
- Work with an in-house team of hotels commissioning editors as well as a pool of remote freelance writers in various cities and countries across the globe
- Liaise regularly with the commercial team
- Oversee and take part in the recruitment of remote freelance writers where necessary
- Oversee the editorial output of the hotels team, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content
- Constantly create, evaluate and improve structures and processes to optimise workflows
- Work alongside our Senior Copy Editor to ensure all content is published free of mistakes and adheres to our in-house style and image guides
- Collaborate with the editorial, commercial, social media and web analytics teams on an ongoing basis
Desired skill and experiences:
- At least 3 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editorial manager or editor, with hotel content writing experience a strong advantage
- Excellent management, organisational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling, engaging digital-first hotels content
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a sharp eye and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimised content
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary expectations and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Junior Commissioning Editor – Hotels’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.