Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to remotely recruit and manage a group of editorial illustrators in various cities and countries (hubs). As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our illustration assets, ensuring Culture Trip becomes a destination for quality illustrated content.
You should be able to communicate and collaborate with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Photo Commissioners in the wider editorial team as well as the Illustration Commissioners in your team. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent manager with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Location: Central London
Start Date: ASAP
- Recruit and manage a network of freelance illustrators across the world
- Work with your network of illustrators on concepts, reviewing roughs and directing their work to fit the briefs you commission
- Identify articles that would benefit from illustrations and strategically work to commission them to freelancers to illustrate
- Brainstorm ideas for illustration-led content, working with the Editorial teams to bring these to fruition
- Work with Illustration Commissioners to come up with format and series ideas
- Work with your content team to brainstorm and create content plans covering key events and trends
- Setting guidelines to ensure our freelance illustrators maintain their individuality whilst also adhering to Culture Trip’s house style
- Oversee the output of the illustrators you manage, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content.
- Work with the Visual Content, Editorial and Social teams to ensure we maximise the use of quality illustrations across the company
- Evaluate and revise systems under pressing deadlines
- Work strategically to source commercially viable assets to license through our DAM
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Previous experience of editorial illustration in the context of online media platforms
- At least 1 year of experience recruiting and managing freelance illustrators
- An eye for quality illustration and an invested interest in contemporary design trends
- Superb management, organizational and people skills
- Proven experience of art direction
- Experience in the negotiating and securing of assets from multiple sources including illustrators, agencies, and other sources such as Instagram and Flickr
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets
- Outstanding knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Previous experience with Digital Asset Management systems
- Evidence of working with a variety of different formats would be beneficial
- Out-of-the-box thinking to cover these locations in an editorially creative way
We value ambitious, adaptable individuals who possess the passion and drive to bring Culture Trip’s mission to fruition in every aspect of their work. With an action bias, you should be a humble, hard working self-starter who is eager to take on their next challenge. Your style should be open, inclusive, honest, and collaborative. Our employees are passionate about culture, travel, food, and the arts and are committed to our mission of exploring all the interesting differences which make our world so unique.
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Illustration Commissioner (London)’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.