Illustration Commissioner (Americas)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 11 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 600k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our New York office to remotely recruit and manage a group of editorial illustrators in various cities and countries (hubs) across the Americas. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities.
The aim of your role will be to help build up a network of talented illustrators across your region, to deliver through them amazing illustrations that help make Culture Trip a destination for this work.
You will need to communicate and collaborate with the commissioners, writers, videographers, photographers and other creative content teams in your region as well as the Illustration Commissioners in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
- Recruit and manage a network of freelance illustrators across the world
- Work with your network of illustrators on concepts, reviewing roughs and directing their work to fit the briefs you commission
- Identify articles that would benefit from illustrations and strategically work to commission them to freelancers to illustrate
- Brainstorm ideas for illustration-led content, working with the Editorial teams to bring these to fruition
- Work with Illustration Commissioners in other teams to come up with format and series ideas
- Work with your content team to brainstorm and create content plans covering key events and trends
- Setting guidelines to ensure our freelance illustrators maintain their individuality whilst also adhering to Culture Trip’s house style
- Oversee the output of the illustrators you manage, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content.
- Work with the Visual Content, Editorial and Social teams to ensure we maximise the use of quality illustrations across the company
- Evaluate and revise systems under pressing deadlines
- Work strategically to source commercially viable assets to license through our DAM
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience of editorial illustration in the context of online media platforms
- At least 1 year of experience recruiting and managing freelancers, specific experience with illustrators will be an advantage
- An eye for quality illustration and an interest in contemporary design trends
- Superb management, organizational and people skills
- Proven experience of art direction
- Experience in the negotiating and securing of assets from multiple sources including illustrators, agencies, and other sources such as Instagram and Flickr
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets
- Outstanding knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Previous experience with Digital Asset Management systems
- Evidence of working with a variety of different formats would be beneficial
- An in-depth knowledge of North American locations and out-of-the-box thinking to cover these locations in an editorially creative way
We value ambitious, adaptable individuals who possess the passion and drive to bring Culture Trip’s mission to fruition in every aspect of their work. With an action bias, you should be a humble, hard working self-starter who is eager to take on their next challenge. Your style should be open, inclusive, honest, and collaborative. Our employees are passionate about culture, travel, food, and the arts and are committed to our mission of exploring all the interesting differences which make our world so unique.
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your expected salary and notice period. We will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Illustration Commissioner (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.