Head of UI/UX Design
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for a hands-on, forward-thinking and problem-solving Head of UI/UX Design to lead our Product Design team. You should have a proven record in working with product and engineering teams, and designing and launching products, preferably using advanced web technologies and Agile development methodologies. You will also need a genuine passion for online media and be an expert in User Centred Design (UCD) best practice.
This is a great opportunity to join an exciting and successful early stage start-up in a new space. You will be responsible for setting the visual, UI and UX direction and building an exciting product that involves semantic content creation at scale, associative browsing, knowledge graphs, mobile and video. You need to be passionate about building the visual voice for a truly global platform for local culture and bringing quality content into the social age.
Start Date: ASAP
- Grow and manage our team of junior designers
- Take the lead on creating a smooth, consistent and compelling UI and UX across our mobile-first product portfolio, including the desktop web, mobile web, email and the native apps.
- Own the overall UI & UX design across Culture Trip’s properties
- Convert editorial, product and business needs into beautiful, functional interfaces.
- Take new features from start to finish, beginning with the concept stage to wire-framing, user journeys, flows, prototypes and the final interface.
- Devise strong design propositions to accompany our content offering and dynamically evolving technology
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams on planning, execution and implementation
- Carry the torch for design in the company, making sure design principles are taken into account in everything we do
- Envision and establish a sense of visual branding for Culture Trip
- Champion a design that gives prominence to our visual assets, such as video, illustration, and images
- Devise forward-thinking solutions to tackle navigation challenges brought by an abundance of content
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor degree at one of the leading design schools
- Over 8 years of experience in UI/UX
- A strong and creative online portfolio
- Previous experience in an online media/tech company
- Proven track record of designing mobile-first and responsive design websites
- Experience with an entire design flow, from research, through prototyping, and up to highly accurate design delivery.
- Following the up-to-date design trends on both Android and iOS platforms.
- Knowledge of technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions and any limitations and opportunities, e.g. Ajax, HTML 5, CSS3/SASS, responsive and adaptive design approaches.
- Conceptual understanding of modular and elegant web UI code that works across desktop, tablet and phone
- Passion for graphic design, including a good knowledge of the history of web design, as well as a good instinctive grasp on up-and- coming trends
- Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Experience working in startups and within performance-driven work cultures.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams across content, social media, commercial, design and R&D.
- You should be an excellent communicator, capable of working across departments and locations.
- You should be a strong manager, capable of leading and inspiring our Design team
- Ability to work independently while developing an idea, paired with a genuine enthusiasm for feedback and discussion in a team setting.
- Branding skills would be an advantage
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role and your online portfolio. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Head of UI/UX Design’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.