Illustration & Animation Project Manager
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to manage our team of in-house illustrators and animators and our network of freelance illustrators around the world. You would develop and execute on a commissioning strategy for illustrated content, and manage a team of in-house illustration commissioners, illustrators and animators. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of locals and visitors experience their cities. Your aim will be to help build up our resources of digital image assets for our content teams.
You should be able to communicate and collaborate with the writers, Commissioning Editors, Video Commissioners, and Photo Commissioners in your content team. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- Lead the ‘Hub Illustration’ team of between 5 and 10 Illustration Commissioners, each overseeing approximately 15 remote illustrators from around the region
- Lead our in-house team of Editorial Illustrators, Comic Illustrators, and Animators
- You’ll need to recruit and hire for your team, interview and assess their suitability, negotiate and execute their contracts.
- Manage the team, drive and maintain a performance culture in line with the wider business.
- Oversee the recruitment and management of a roster of freelance illustrators (mainly amateur and semi-professional).
- Creatively apply a data-driven approach to develop a format-specific commissioning plan in line with our overall content strategy and execute accordingly.
- Working with the wider content team, identify existing articles that would benefit from original illustration and animation and strategically commission them to freelancers.
- Brainstorm ideas for illustration-led content and bring these to life.
- Work closely with our Editorial Programme Managers to deliver content according to the needs of the editorial product. For example, produce inspirational illustrated and animated content from every major city in your region according to specification.
- Devise plans to deliver these Editorial product goals, and manage your team to produce high-quality content at scale, against these priorities.
- Deliver Culture Trip’s wider local content offering in your region across numerous verticals: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, books, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness.
- Collaborate with the leads of other formats and the regional teams across the other offices to ensure a consistent product from all teams.
- Participate in high-value editorial campaigns, generating ideas from your team and producing commissioned content via the hubs to carry and grow the Culture Trip brand.
- Work with our Art Directors to ensure our illustration and animation is on brand and visually appealing
- Drive editorial process, feeding back improvements and needs, driving new tools and ensuring they are implemented effectively.
- Deliver commercial content including branded content, affiliate content and hotels content
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 5-10 years’ experience in coordinating illustration & animation for editorial.
- You must be open to new ways of thinking and operating, always challenging yourself.
- Managerial experience in a similar role in media and/or publishing.
- Superb management, organizational and people skills are an absolute must.
- Previous community and/or remote management experience is crucial.
- Strong eye for compelling visuals and ideas for content across a selection of locations and interests.
- Strong understanding of copyright, content licensing laws and IP rights associated with digital assets.
- An in-depth knowledge of locations in EMEA and out-of-the-box thinking to cover these locations in an editorially creative way.
- You should have a desire to optimize organizational processes and improve operations.
- Demonstrated experience of implementing editorial developments, and heading up major operational efforts.
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software.
- Outstanding knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Illustration & Animation Project Manager’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.