Head of Content Operations, Americas
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 11 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional for a crucial role in our content operation. As Head of Content Operations, Americas you will report directly to the VP Content, and will manage a team of commissioners, editors and in-house writers, working to build a significant audience through original and engaging digital content about all of the amazing culture in the Americas. Your team will be charged with finding and producing this content across articles, videos, photography, illustrations / animations and VR.
Location: New York City
Start Date: ASAP
- In your role, you will lead the development of a strategic content plan for the Americas, aimed at serving our users with rich content about all of the amazing culture that places in the Americas have to offer
- You will work closely with team leads to deliver against that content plan, overseeing content production for the Americas across all formats (articles, video, photography, illustration, VR).
- You will help to make the site an industry leader, at the forefront of informing, delighting and captivating consumers, and be responsible for driving user growth through this Editorial strategy.
- You will provide leadership to and management of the Americas team. Where the team is not already in place for the Americas, or where it requires further expansion, you will be charged with recruiting top class talent and building the team.
- You will put in place appropriate structures and processes to ensuring content output is delivered efficiently, and to enforce adherence to brand guidelines in terms of tone, style, timing and accuracy for all content produced within your team.
- You will also collaborate closely with the Head of Content Operations for other regions, to ensure consistency of content across the site.
- When required, you will liaise with the Commercial teams to oversee the production and delivery of branded and sponsored content for client campaigns.
- You should work closely with the VP Social Media, and Head of SEO to drive best practice in SEO and social media optimisation in the content your team produces.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- You should have 7-10 years’ experience in editorial management or similar demonstrable operational expertise.
- An understanding of what makes exceptional content across multiple formats and experience working with each of these in some capacity (articles, video, photography, illustration, VR). Expertise in developing and executing an editorial strategy and content plans
- You should ideally be highly passionate about the Americas, have in-depth knowledge of at least some of the place in the Americas, and enjoy consuming content about the Americas
- You’ll need demonstrably superb management, organisational and people skills.
- You must be proactive, entrepreneurial and assertive, with a desire to make a real impact in a growing company. Previous experience working in a startup environment would be beneficial.
- You should be process-driven with a natural inclination to optimise and iterate where needed, with a focus on efficiency. You must also be highly adaptable and agile, and approach all new challenges with a positive and can-do attitude.
- You should have an eye for talent, and experience recruiting for and building great teams
- Exceptional communications skills, both written and verbal
- With a fervent interest in both media and tech, you keep abreast of all developments within these and related spaces
- You should embrace data and have the ability to analyse and make content decisions based on the conclusions you reach. Strong Excel skills are essential. You should have an aptitude for web analytics, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Working knowledge of WordPress would be useful
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your salary expectations and notice period. We will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Head of Content Operations, Americas’ in the subject line of your email.
We are looking to fill this role ASAP so the sooner you apply, the higher your chances of being considered.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.