Freelance Copy Editor
Culture Trip is one of the internet’s fastest-growing media start-ups, attracting 8 million monthly readers and nearly 4 million social media fans. Currently operating in over 100 locations around the world, we also have major offices in London, NYC and Tel Aviv. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers. We won UK Website of the Year Award for Arts & Culture (2014) and were named one of Five Fast-Growing British Businesses To Watch by Forbes (2017).
Culture Trip has already attracted a strong base of writers and contributors, a top team of engineers in Tel Aviv and has two senior Google executives on its Board – Dr Nelson Mattos and Yariv Adan. With heavyweight backers in the US and Europe, we are set for explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We’re looking for a sharp-eyed, diligent, alert and culture-savvy individual to ensure our stories are perfect from an editorial standpoint. You will edit articles to free them of formatting issues, typos, grammatical mistakes and factual errors according to Culture Trip’s standards, working to achieve impeccable editorial quality across all content.
- Proofread, edit and reformat all articles published on culturetrip.com as directed by in-house Commissioning Editors.
- Transform written content into scintillating, engaging and attention-grabbing stories.
- Work and liaise with writers around the world in the pre-publication stage to ensure articles adhere to Culture Trip’s in-house style and image guidelines.
- Work on content across the following verticals: travel, what’s on, food & drink, fashion, art, design, film & TV, literature, music, history, architecture, sports, tech and health.
- Work under the supervision of the Senior Copy Editor, and with Commissioning Editors to ensure suitable and nuanced editing styles are followed for each vertical.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 1+ years of experience as a copy editor/sub-editor or editorial assistant at an online publication, newspaper or magazine.
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a knack for headline-writing and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes, and stylistic and factual inconsistencies.
- Native-level English is a crucial prerequisite.
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential.
- A degree or equivalent (ideally in the humanities or English) is essential.
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy.
- Excellent self-management, organizational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines are essential.
- Excellent at working independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Strong understanding of the nuances of social media and search engine-optimized content.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising with writers across different time zones.
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role, as well as your general availability — we are ideally looking for someone who will be able to commit to editing 40-50 articles per week.
Please note: we will not be considering incomplete applications. Make sure you include ‘Copy Editor’ in the subject line of your email. We’re accepting applications on an ongoing basis, and would like the successful candidate(s) to start ASAP.