Food Editor (London)
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to join our team of Genre Editors as a Food Editor. In partnership with the US Food Editor, the ideal candidate will demonstrate a proactive, adaptable, and entrepreneurial spirit in their personal, independent, and collaborative work.
You will need to communicate and collaborate with the writers, videographers, photographers and other creative content teams in your region as well as the editors in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Location: Central London
- Write a variety of posts and articles on food per monthly requirements, covering assigned beats related to location and target audience
- Cover location-specific cuisine and foods from around the world
- Create and maintain relationships with food PRs and publicists, represent Culture Trip at a range of industry events
- Have your finger very much on the pulse of the restaurant world, in London in particular, cover the major stories and make Culture Trip a respected voice in this domain.
- Collaborate on group and individual projects to advance company goals with other teams, including social, commercial, video, affiliate, copy, and others
- Work with the social media team to produce social-first content, furthering our reach on our social platforms. You should be completely fluent with social media, especially Facebook and Instagram.
- Refine and execute long-term strategy designed to make Culture Trip a destination for food content specifically and good content generally
- Drive food coverage in the UK editorial team and, in tandem with US counterpart, serve as resource on the subject company wide
Desired Skills & Experience:
- University degree in literature, writing, journalism, or related field
- 3+ years in media, publishing, or related field, with emphasis on food
- Knowledge/understanding of international food industry generally and the UK food scene in particular, with personal contacts to match
- While specialities are good, the role calls for omnivorous interest and reading across diverse subjects and forms (fiction, nonfiction, literary, popular, genre, etc)
- Knowledge of SEO and SMO
- Previous experience collaborating across formats such as video, photography, and illustration would be beneficial
- Demonstrated writing ability in the field, from short news pieces to reviews to in-depth features and reporting
- Fluency with typical online CMS systems and tools
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and deadlines, communicating fluidly with other editors and staff and management from other teams
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘UK Food Editor’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.