Engineering Lead (London)
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast-growing global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the startup received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities, social media influence and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide and its videos have been viewed more than 1 billion times (from zero last year). More than 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (5x increase since last year) and more than 450k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world.
The individual will be highly entrepreneurial, with proven experience of growing and scaling a high performance engineering team. They will thrive in a fast paced, rapidly growing and often chaotic environment, working closely with a dynamic cross-functional team, and where exact role definition is often blurred.
The ideal candidate will have a background in one or more of the following areas and will preferably be comfortable working in all of them: web and app front end technologies, advertising systems, content management and delivery, data science, machine learning and natural language processing.
You are a thought leader around technology and will have a strong track record of speaking at tech conferences or otherwise engaging with the development community. You keep up to date with the latest in technology and development best practices. You highly enjoy learning, read widely and readily share your knowledge with the rest of the global leadership team.
You are an accomplished manager. You will have strong opinions on how to manage the development process and empower teams to produce high quality scalable products within ambitious time frames.
Knowledge of the media and travel business would be a bonus.
You measure everything and are data-driven in everything you do.
ABOUT YOUR PERSONALITY
The candidate’s leadership style will be open, transparent and confident; able to galvanise those around them to perform at their very best and deliver growth.
You will enjoy working with other functions on complex projects and features that often span engineering, product, editorial and sales.
You will be a strategic thinker and always place the consumer at the heart of everything you do.
You are a self-starter with entrepreneurial flair and have strong action bias. You are ambitious and highly adaptable, a necessary attribute in the context of a global business in hyper-growth mode.
You love to excel.
Culture Trip is looking for an ambitious, technical and passionate engineering leader with a strong track record of building and managing world class engineering teams.
Although Culture Trip has Product, Design and Data Science in both London and Israel, Engineering at Culture Trip is currently only in Israel, where there is a fast growing team of 15+ engineers. The goal for the London engineering lead will be to recruit and manage an equally fast growing engineering team in London, which will reach over 100 engineers within the next few years, and to work closely with the Israeli team which will also grow to roughly the same size. The London engineering lead will have the network and reputation to attract leading technical talent and experience with large recruitment operations.
The initial areas of focus for the London engineering team will be two fold:
- Editorial. Building the creation processes, data pipelines and analysis and insight tools necessary for our distributed editorial team to produce thousands of articles a month in a data driven way that keeps content quality and coverage consistent around the world. The analysis tools will use data science, machine learning and natural language processing to identify content gaps and opportunities.
- Monetization. Building new advertising and sponsored content formats, targeted through a deep analysis of user behaviour and interests. As well as optimizing the conversion funnels for hotels, restaurants and other bookable services. Also working closely with product to experiment on new business lines.
The London engineering lead will be responsible for the technical direction and strategy of their team and will work closely with the product team led by CPO (Nick Jakobi, ex-Google/Facebook) and a world class design and data science team to deliver on the company’s product strategy.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience of managing and growing engineering teams in fast paced high growth environments
- Full stack development expertise with experience in a wide array of front end and backend technologies.
- Proficiency in artificial intelligence, machine learning and data science.
- Highly data-driven, analytical and numerate and able to improve strategy through A/B testing and optimisation.
KEY ATTRACTIONS OF THE ROLE:
- To be an instrumental part of a start-up in hyper-growth
- Build out a large engineering team from scratch
- Pivotal leadership position with real input into shaping the consumer experience and building the Culture Trip brand across the globe
- Working with an excellent and highly ambitious global leadership team on a path of continued hyper-growth
- The opportunity to make a real mark
Compensation & Location
Competitive base salary
Bonus/ equity package
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role, your current notice period and salary expectations. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications. Make sure you include ‘Engineering Lead (London)’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 December 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.