Director of Travel Content
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 4 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 650k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
As Director of Travel Content, you will be responsible for ensuring that our users have the best travel content in each of the destinations we cover around the world. You will report to the VP Content and will lead a team of Programme Managers, each looking after a number of content categories under the Travel category, e.g. Attractions, Places to Stay, Guides and Tips, etc.
Creative, communicative and collaborative, you will have a strong background in inspiring storytelling of culture, create article content plans, and work with other editorial staffers (across photography, video and illustration) to produce engaging content.
You should be a confident and diligent person with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes, as well as lead a team. You should always operate with scale in mind, establishing robust yet flexible processes to maximise assets and ensure systems can grow quickly and under pressure. We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
- You will oversee the analysis of the existing content by the Programme Managers, and the commissioning of new content to meet user needs for each location.
- Your team will set scalable formats across articles, videos, photography and illustration for travel content to be produced by our creators across the world.
- You will bring your experience to contribute to the structure and architecture of the Travel sections.
- You will need to work closely with a number of other teams in the business;
- The SEO team to take advantage of Search opportunities;
- The content creating teams to commission content required for each destination;
- The content processes team to ensure the ongoing maintenance of the Travel content;
- The Product team to help drive the evolution of each content product according to user needs.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- You should have at least 5-10 years of experience in Travel publishing, including in-depth knowledge of user needs around Travel content, and what makes quality content across all formats
- You should be highly analytical, able to analyse the performance of content and make decisions based on data.
- You should be a good strategic thinker, with a broad base of knowledge across many subject matters relevant to your Travel content.
- You should be an excellent team manager, able to absorb pressure, make decisions and motivate people.
- You should be able to take complex problems and simplify them. You should be good at prioritising.
- You should be an excellent communicator who is able to work collaboratively on problems across multiple departments.
- You should have a strong action-bias and ability to execute on plans
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please also state your current salary and notice period. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘ Director of Travel Content ‘ in the subject line of your email.