Director of Newsletter Operations
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an exceptional Director of Newsletter Operations to develop and lead our newsletter strategy. You will build a team to manage a world-class newsletter operation, focusing on garnering a significant newsletter subscriber base. You will liaise heavily with our editorial team to create compelling, valuable and visually-pleasing newsletter content and continually analyse the performance of our newsletter communications to increase brand awareness and traffic to our site.
Start Date: ASAP
- As the Director of Newsletter Operations your overall objective will be to build out a world-class newsletter operation that carries the Culture Trip brand into as many inboxes as possible.
- You will work with the existing Newsletter Editor, and assemble as wide a team as necessary to deliver a diverse and powerful newsletter offering to our users. This team will report to you.
- You will be ultimately responsible for the operation of the newsletter offering, ensuring all newsletters are delivered according to schedule and to the high standard expected.
- Your team will work closely with the content team to identify, select and, where appropriate, commission content for each newsletter.
- You will oversee the development and growth of the subscriber base. You will work closely with the product, tech, social and marketing teams to devise and implement strategies to accelerate new subscriber acquisition.
- You will need to set up key success metrics for the newsletter operation and continually monitor and improve performance on these metrics.
- You’ll work with the Creative Direction and Design teams to make sure our newsletters carry the brand and is as visually appealing as possible.
- You will need to build out the commercial propositions as it relates to newsletters, specifically: affiliate, segment targeting, branded / sponsored content opportunities, etc.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- You should have 5-10 years of experience running a top class newsletter operation
- You should have built newsletter offerings out and overseen remarkable growth in the scale and/or effectiveness of a newsletter operation.
- You should be adept in the use of multiple different email marketing campaign platforms, especially Campaign Monitor
- You should know the competitive newsletter landscape intimately, and have a great understanding of what offerings are available to consumers.
- You should be data fluent and have a test-and-learn mindset. You should have a history of data-driven A/B testing and continual improvement
- You should have past experience of building teams, running high-performing teams and managing people. Excellent management and organisational skills are an absolute must
- You will have a strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy, and a great eye for visuals and photography
- You should have a high degree of personal integrity, be honest, and give and receive feedback openly.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising across different time zones.
- Academic excellence and a degree of intellectual gravitas are important
- You should be hungry for success, action-biased and smart.
- You should be a team player, a strong communicator who can present a point of view coherently, and collaborate fluidly across departments and offices.
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role, your current notice period and salary expectations. Please note we will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Director of Newsletter Operations’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.