Copy Editor Manager (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 11 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 600k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We’re looking for an ambitious and experienced professional to join our New York team and manage our freelance copy editors around the world. Diligent and organized, you will be in charge of recruiting remote copy editors, managing their workload of articles that require copy editing, and monitoring at scale the quality of their work. Communicative and dynamic, you will work closely with Culture Trip’s in-house team of commissioning editors, who manage freelance writers worldwide producing article content. Extremely sharp-eyed, you will be periodically tasked with copy-editing content, ensuring it is free of typos, grammatical mistakes, factual errors and formatting issues.
You should be a confident and attentive individual with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
Location: New York
- Oversee and take part in the recruitment of remote copy editors on a regular basis.
- Manage our fleet of remotely based copy editors, overseeing their workload of articles, ensuring a regular output of published content on our site.
- Collaborate with Culture Trip’s in-house team of commissioning editors, who manage freelance writers worldwide producing article content.
- Constantly create, evaluate and improve structures and processes to optimize workflows.
- Proofread and edit all articles published on culturetrip.com as part of a team of in-house copy editors.
- Transform written content into scintillating, engaging and attention-grabbing stories.
- Work and liaise with writers around the world in the pre-publication stage to ensure articles adhere to Culture Trip’s in-house style and image guides.
- Work under the supervision of the Senior Copy Editor.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 4+ years of experience as an editorial manager with copy editor/sub-editor experience at an online publication, newspaper or magazine.
- Excellent management, organizational and people skills, and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Previous remote management experience is crucial.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a knack for headline writing and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of WordPress is essential.
- A degree or equivalent (ideally in the humanities or English) is essential.
- Strong understanding of what makes a great piece of content and how to engage readers with excellent copy.
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising with writers across different time zones
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your expected salary and notice period. We will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Copy Editor Manager (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.