Community Engagement Manager (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 4 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 650k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We’re looking for a smart, organised, diligent and innovative individual to build a strong community amongst Culture Trip’s global network of 300+ Content Creators (remotely-based writers, copy-editors, videographers, photographers and illustrators). As a Community Engagement Manager, you will be responsible for understanding the Creator experience in and out, proactively designing processes or launching projects to better engage with Creators and improve their experience working with Culture Trip. This could include everything from serving as a key point of contact for queries related to Creator recruitment and onboarding, to disseminating communications regarding Cultural Trip’s editorial strategy. Everything you do should help to foster an engaged community of Content Creators. In addition, you will coordinate communications with the organisations (restaurants, museums, galleries, venues, etc.) we feature in our articles. You will have a focus on data-driven improvements to our digital communications with these featured organisations, as well as lead in conventional outreach and engagement including offline communication initiatives.
- Devising a strategy and system of effective engagement between Culture Trip in-house staff and its remotely-based network of Content Creators
- Identifying optimisation projects to improve the Content Creator experience
- Addressing queries/concerns from Content Creators
- Designing and maintaining on-boarding, training processes and materials for Content Creators
- Disseminating information on Culture Trip’s editorial strategy, company news, updates to methodology in content production
- Serving as a ‘Content Creator Advocate’ for internal decisions (i.e. advocating on behalf of a voice that is not otherwise heard directly)
- Overseeing an effective ‘featured organisation’ outreach program – via email and other communication methods – to increase engagement with and traffic in our digital content
- Developing and maintaining our featured organisation databases
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years of experience as a communications and/or community manager or similar at a tech startup or online publication
- Previous experience in community management and/or internal communications: building an internal communications strategy, disseminating company materials and news, innate knowledge of different methods of communicating internally
- You should be comfortable working within a global company and liaising with remotely-based stakeholders across different time zones
- Fluency in English is a crucial prerequisite
- Proficient user of G Suite – knowledge of WordPress a plus
- Data-driven and analytical mindset, with a personable, professional and diplomatic demeanour
- A degree or equivalent (ideally in communications/media)
- Excellent self-management, organisational skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Excellent at working independently and as part of a team, with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current notice period and salary expectations. We will not be considering incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Community Engagement Manager (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email.
The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.