Junior Commissioning Editor (London)
Founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our London office to join our team of Commissioning Editors who manage content creators around the world. You will oversee the the commissioning, production, editing, publishing and distribution of a large body of content from freelance writers across a number of countries in the world. You will report to the Director of Hub Operations.
You should be a confident and extremely diligent manager with the demonstrated ability to create and improve structures and processes. As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Location: Central London
Starting date: ASAP
- Provide support for the Director of Hub Operations in ensuring a high-volume production of content through our hub system
- Work with an in-house team of junior commissioning editors as well as a pool of remote freelance writers in various cities and countries (hubs) across the globe
- Oversee and take part in the recruitment of remote freelance writers on a regular basis
- Oversee the editorial output of our hubs, paying careful attention to issues related to both quality and quantity of content
- Constantly create, evaluate and improve structures and processes to optimise workflows
- Develop useful, inspiring, insightful and scalable stories to commission across our hubs, strategically gearing content towards search engine optimisation and social media optimisation
- Work alongside our Senior Copy Editor to ensure all content is published free of mistakes and adheres to our in-house style and image guides
- Collaborate with the editorial, commercial, social media and web analytics teams on articles pertaining to specific interests and genres
- You will work with content across the following genres: travel, food, fashion, art, design, film, literature, music, real estate & architecture, sports, tech & entrepreneurship, and health & wellness
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in media and/or publishing as an editorial manager or editor
- Excellent management, organisational and people skills are an absolute must
- Previous remote management experience is a strong asset
- Exceptionally strong in editorial, with an eye for compelling localised content covering a wide array of locations and verticals
- Innate understanding of what makes a great story and how to engage readers with excellent copy
- Exceptionally strong copy-editing skills with a sharp eye and an allergy to typos, grammatical mistakes and stylistic inconsistencies
- Strong understanding of the differences between social media and search engine optimised content
- Aptitude for web analytics is highly desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Familiarity with WordPress is essential
How to Apply:
Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Junior Commissioning Editor (London) ’ in the subject line of your email.
We are looking to fill this role ASAP so the sooner you apply, the higher your chances of being considered.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.