Books Editor (NYC)
Culture Trip is a start-up inspiring millions of people to explore the world’s culture and creativity through a global network of local content creators and innovative technology. Our content reaches over 10 million visitors and 200 million social media users every month, and we recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
Culture Trip was founded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts. After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, we received a seed round of $2 million by top media/tech investors in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20 million Series A investment in summer 2016. Since then, Culture Trip has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output, building initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016, we’ve grown to more than 140 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV.
We see ourselves as a tech company at our core, with media and creative work as our output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers, photographers, and illustrators. Within the last nine months, our growth across our social media accounts has been in the triple digits, with our Facebook account ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 11 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only six months ago) and more than 500k people have installed our app.
We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is to bring the world to everyone.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced professional based in our New York office to join our team of Genre Editors as a Books Editor. In partnership with the UK Books Editor, the ideal candidate will demonstrate a proactive, adaptable, and entrepreneurial spirit in their personal, independent, and collaborative work.
You will need to communicate and collaborate with the writers, videographers, photographers and other creative content teams in your region as well as the editors in other regional content teams. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial.
As a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for all things culture, you should have a desire to make a real impact on how millions of people consume content. You must have a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility, and be an enthusiastic and collaborative team player.
We offer an independent and dynamic working environment with plenty of potential to make an impact, and the opportunity to develop exciting content in cooperation with our four departments: editorial, social media, commercial and tech.
Starting date: ASAP
- Create in-house books content for the Americas regions, focussing on long-form features that tell compelling stories in line with Culture Trip’s editorial strategy
- Have your finger very much on the pulse of the literature world, in New York in particular, ensuring Culture Trip is a respected voice in this domain.
- Refine and execute long-term strategy designed to make Culture Trip a destination for books content specifically and engaging content generally
- Drive books coverage in the US editorial team and, in tandem with your UK counterpart, serve as resource on the subject company wide
- Secure exclusive interviews and talent access by creating and maintaining relationships with publishers and PRs
- Work with the social media team to produce social-first content, furthering our reach on our social platforms. You should be adept in social media, especially Facebook and Instagram.
- Work with the hub commissioning editors for the Americas regions to create compelling global content series and news coverage across the books genre.
- Collaborate with video, illustration, animation and photo teams on cross departmental projects to advance company goals
- Use a data-driven approach to inform growth strategies
Desired Skills & Experience:
- University degree in literature, writing, journalism, or related field
- 3+ years in media, publishing, or related field, with emphasis on literature
- Knowledge/understanding of international fashion industry generally and the US books scene in particular, with personal contacts to match
- While specialities are good, the role calls for omnivorous interest and reading across diverse subjects and forms (fiction, nonfiction, literary, popular, genre, etc)
- Knowledge of SEO and SMO
- Previous experience collaborating across formats such as video, photography, and illustration would be beneficial
- Demonstrated writing ability in the field, from short news pieces to reviews to in-depth features and reporting
- Fluency with typical online CMS systems and tools
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and deadlines, communicating fluidly with other editors and staff and management from other teams
- Previous experience using Google Analytics
How to Apply:
Email us on email@example.com with your CV, links to your portfolio and a brief covering letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Books Editor (NYC)’ in the subject line of your email. The sooner you apply, the sooner your application will be considered. We would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received for this role, we’re unable to personally respond to all candidates. If you don’t hear back from us within a few weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful at this time. We nevertheless encourage you to look out for and apply to other suitable positions in the future.