A great pie is a thing of beauty. And from strawberry to coconut to pumpkin, in the morning or way late at night, Houston has no dearth of them. We list the top 10 places to find the best.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Three Brothers Bakery
Perhaps you’ve seen Three Brothers Bakery’s ‘Pumpecapple Piecake’ on CNN, Good Morning America or Saturday Night Live. This ‘turducken of pies’ is an 11-inch behemoth with layers of spice, chocolate and pumpkin spice cake, with apple, pecan and pumpkin pie all rolled into one. But the family-owned bakery isn’t just crazy pies, they are serious about their cakes, pies, and cookies. They trace their baking lineage to their Polish forefathers who escaped Nazi concentration camps in World War II. Brothers Sigmund, Sol and Max Jucker opened their bakery in Houston in 1949, hence the name, and the rest is history.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Not Jus’ Donuts
Not Jus’ Donuts in Third Ward is turning heads with its spectacular pies. Order by the slice or by the whole pie, but make sure you get a taste of their sweet potato pie, which has been praised by Cake Boss’s Buddy Valastro. It’s no surprise, as this bakery’s baking tradition has been passed down through generations, tracing back to the the owner’s grandmother in the Igdo tribe in Cameroon.
Flying Saucer Pie Company
Flying Saucer Pie Company’s pies are good, and everyone knows it. Every Thanksgiving, crowds form huge lines around the block waiting for a taste of the flaky, homemade goodness that has kept the bakery in business for 48 years. Their most popular is the strawberry cream pie, but the bakery has all kinds of fruit, cream and holiday pies.
House of Pies
After a night out on the town or the morning after, pie is not just the hero needed but also the hero deserved. With two locations, House of Pies 24-hour bakery can satisfy a pie craving at any time, appropriate or not, with their dozens of pies, from the traditional banana cream pie to their house special ‘Bayou Goo’ pie.
Ooh La La Dessert Boutique
For the kid at heart, Ooh La La Dessert Boutique is the paradise of dreams. Their selections include Reese’s Mousse pie, Oreo Mousse, and Snickers pie. You can order a whole pie or by the slice, or you can also order one of their mini pies known as ‘Cutie Pies.’ Wash it all down with a Nutella latte and maybe watch some cartoons because why not?
The Pie Factory
This low-key bakery is a hidden treasure, especially during the holidays. With no wait or line, but equally delicious pies, The Pie Factory has been in business for over 30 years and offers a large variety of pies available for pick-up.
Take the Cake
Looking for those desserts just like mom used to make” Take the Cake certainly accomplishes just that. The husband-and-wife team trained at the esteemed Culinary Institute of America and all over Europe, but their humble joint offers pies and cakes from their mothers’ beloved recipes. Pick up a pie and head over to nearby Bear Creek Park for a lovely picnic.
Pie in the Sky Co
If you’re looking for a great pie in Conroe, make sure to stop by the under-the-radar bakery, Pie in the Sky Pie Co. Choose your pie over a well-made omelet for breakfast or a panini for lunch, and order your pie for dessert by the slice à la mode or whole. If you’re not in the area, they also ship straight to your door.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.