1. Live inside the Loop, it’s where the action is.
2. Never get your hopes up about the Texans.
3. Traffic is a fact of life; plan to always be five to ten minutes early.
4. If you can, avoid freeways between 4PM and 7PM.
5. Avoid 290 altogether
6. Most museums and the zoo have free hours on Thursdays.
7. Miller Outdoor Theatre’s amazing shows are always free.
8. JP Morgan Chase Tower has an observation deck with a spectacular view of Houston.
9. There’s a complex system of tunnels filled with restaurants and businesses connecting the buildings downtown.
10. Being good at parallel parking opens up a world of free parking in Houston.
11. The mind-blowing, delicious sushi restaurant Uchi can be very difficult to get into. If you can, get in line early – between 4PM and 5PM – for a unique happy hour experience when it opens.
12. The HEB at West Alabama and Dunlavy in Montrose has Food Truck Fridays on the first and third Fridays of each month.
13. The San Jacinto Monument has a wonderful observation deck with a perfect view of Houston’s skyline.
14. Houston is getting better and better for cyclists. The Houston Bike Plan is adding to existing networks to make cycling a great way to get around town. Learn the bike network.
15. With the heat and humidity, know that it could rain in the blink of an eye – waterproof makeup is a great idea.
16. The Tierra Estillo Caliente taco truck, parked permanently across the street from the West Alabama Ice House, is Houston’s best kept food secret.
17. Every night at dusk the Waugh Drive Bat Colony takes flight. The City of Houston has constructed viewing platforms at the corner of Waugh and Allen Parkway to view this beautiful natural occurrence.