A Single’s Guide to Dating in Minneapolis, MN
Minneapolis is made for lovers. Its beautiful scenery, ample cultural events, and thriving economy make Minnesota’s largest city a perfect place for finding your soulmate. Here’s a single’s guide to dating in the Twin Cities.
According to United States Census Bureau data from 2016, Minneapolis’ population is more than 400,000. Of those who are 15 years old and over, about 36% of those individuals are married. That means 64% of the population over the age of 15 is single. Those are good odds! About 56% of males and 47% of females have never married, and 9% of males and 12% of females are divorced. Less than 5% of the total single population has been widowed.
Tinder, OkCupid, and Match.com are some of the most popular apps and online sites today. Tinder gets a bad rap for its users’ effortless hookups, but it offers a lot more for millennials. Users frequently take advantage of its painful profile setup and solicited-messages-only feature to find true love. OkCupid offers basic online dating profiles for free and boasts an estimated one million active users. People who pay can receive an ad-free experience, additional search options, a free profile boost per day during prime time, and the opportunity to have a private profile. If you’re seeking a more mature mate, about 50% of Match.com’s users are 30–49, with more than 25% aged 50 years or older.
Places to meet
Minneapolis is made for singles of all ages. There’s Barrio, located in the Lowertown neighborhood of St. Paul, which is brimming with young professionals. The restaurant and tequila bar hosts a DJ-fueled dance party starting at 11 p.m. each Friday and Saturday. Then there’s Bar Lurcat in Minneapolis, a restaurant offering urban cuisine in à la carte bites alongside casual cocktails. It’s the type of place where professionals head for happy hour and after-dinner cocktails. Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant in downtown Minneapolis is a favorite hangout for those who want to experience more than a music club. It offers a full, chef-driven menu and daily world-class performances. These restaurants are only a few options, as the Twin Cities is home to many cocktail bars and clubs. So, check out business reviews on Facebook and Yelp to find a venue that’s right for you.
Barrio, 235 6th St. E., St. Paul, MN, USA, +1 651 222 3250
Bar Lurcat, 1624 Harmon Place, Minneapolis, MN, USA, +1 612 486 5900
There’s this business called “It’s Just Lunch” in Minneapolis, which provides singles an alternative to online dating. Certified matchmakers pair people with personalized, hand-selected matches, and since the service is private, there’s no online dating profile—a great bonus. Singles can also check out Eventbrite for speed-dating events. Another organization is SpeedMinneapolis Dating, which provides blind dates, revamped speed dating, matchmaking and more in what it calls a “cheeky-chic” dating atmosphere.
Words of wisdom
There are some words of wisdom that stand the test of time, no matter what city you’re dating in.
- Be yourself—this is an easy one.
- Be truthful from the get-go, because it almost always leads to trouble later.
- Be open. Try not to shut someone out the minute that you find one annoying habit or realize you have less in common than you initially thought. Having an open mind may just lead you to love.
- Be strong. Dating can be a major challenge, but finding love is definitely worth it.
- Trust your gut. In a battle between the head and the heart, it can be hard to determine the best moves to make when dating. Your gut will always lead you down the path that makes the most sense for you at the time. That doesn’t mean it’s always going to lead you to the “right” decision, but it will help you make the best decision you can with the information you’ve gathered.