The enchanting island of Maui, with its lush landscapes, inviting waters and warm hospitality, is a dream destination for travelers around the world. It’s the excellent waves and vibrant surf culture, however, that makes Hawaii’s second largest island a surfer’s paradise.
Seasoned pros have long been drawn to Maui’s legendary waves, but this tropical haven is also a great place for beginners to start their surfing journey. There is a wide variety of surf breaks, a seemingly endless supply of gorgeous beaches and, best of all, a year-round surf season. So, are you ready to ride the Pacific waves in Maui?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Best Beaches for Beginners
Ka’anapali Beach – located on the west coast, Ka’anapali offers long sandy stretches and rolling waves that are ideal for beginners.
The Cove Park – nestled in Kihei, the Cove Park is renowned as one of Maui’s most popular spots for novice surfers. Its small, manageable waves and sandy bottom provide an ideal learning environment.
Lahaina Breakwall – charming historic town and gentle waves make Lahaina Breakwall an excellent location for those seeking their initial surf experiences, both from a social and surfing point of view.
Surfing Lessons and Classes
While the idea of surfing may seem daunting to beginners, Maui’s surf schools are dedicated to transforming novices into confident riders. Certified instructors are able to fast-track your learning curve in remarkable ways. After all, the foundational skills of surfing are the most important and arguably the hardest to learn – certainly the most frustrating without any help! The reassurance of knowing you’re in safe hands is also invaluable.
You’ve got a few options when it comes to surf lessons in Maui. First of all is the cheapest, most standardised offering, group sessions. These affordable and sociable classes are a way to share your learning experience and potential make some friends along the way.
Private lessons are probably the most efficient way of boosting your skillset, since your instructor can dedicate full attention to your progress. It might cost a little bit more, but you might need fewer lessons to get you up to scratch!
Surf camps, meanwhile, offer the ultimate learning experience, spanning multiple days and often including accommodation as well as equipment. If you really want to fast-track your surfing ability, then this is the way to do it.
Remember, surf lessons are more than just a chance to learn. They’re also a gateway into the surf community, offering you a chance to connect with like-minded enthusiasts and, who knows, maybe make a few friends for life.
Rentals and Gear
Once you’ve had a few lessons and are ready to hit the waves without an instructor, you might want to rent some gear. This is always a good option for newbies or tourists, who might not want to pack a giant surfboard on the flight home. Maui is home to several surf shops where you can find all the necessary gear. These shops typically provide soft-top, longboard and foamboard surfboards, catering to all skill levels. It’s best to speak to staff at the shop, who tend to really know their stuff, and should help point you in the direction of your ideal board. Additionally, you’ll find wetsuits, leashes, fins and all kinds of extra equipment, while some shops might even offer a delivery service, so you don’t have to cart your board all the way to the beach.
Safety and Seasonal Considerations
While the surf community projects itself as all about freedom, no worries and a sense of adventure, its foundations are built on a respect for the ocean and an obedience towards the laws of Mother Nature. Beginner surfers should always remember this. Do your research when it comes to currents, breaks and weather conditions. Keep an eye on wave height and avoid rip currents at all costs. It’s always a good idea to hit the beach with someone more experienced than you. Maui’s surf culture also places significant importance on etiquette, emphasizing mutual respect and courtesy in the water. Remember to respect the lineup, stay out of other surfer’s lane and always be friendly with your fellow water babies!
Maui offers year-round surfing opportunities, but conditions do differ throughout the year. In winter (November to March) the waves tend to be bigger, especially on the North Shore, so perhaps stick to the south at this time of year. The summer (April to October) meanwhile is usually calmer and more predictable, which in general is ideal for novice surfers finding their feet on the waves.
Mornings often have ideal conditions, with lighter winds and calmer seas. Sunrise surf sessions are especially magical.
On days when the waves are flat, consider exploring the island’s other attractions, such as hiking, snorkeling, or enjoying a luau.
There are usual plenty of local food trucks and beachside eateries around in Maui, so be sure to tuck into some authentic local street food. Trust us, it’s delicious.
Public transport will get you to most of the popular surf spots easy enough, but it’s worth looking into car rentals so you can get around the island with total freedom.
Chat to the locals! Ingretiate yourself with the local surf community, whether you’re looking for advice, recommendations or simply some friendship, this is super safe and friendly space.
Book yourself some good accommodation! If you’re not staying at a surf camp, we recommend booking somewhere near good surf. Consider beach resorts and vacation rentals as the perfect base for your surf holiday.
Check out the rest of Hawaii! The surf scene is pretty spectacular in Oahu too…
The good vibes of Maui is reflective of the surf community, and whether you’re a novice or not, this gorgeous island is an incredible place to advance your surfing journey. So what are you waiting for? Get yourself over, grab a board and get riding those Pacific waves.
This is an AI assisted article produced by Gethin Morgan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.