1. Don’t say ‘Frisco’. The locals will laugh at you.
2. Ike’s Place delivers. Their sandwiches are legendary and are prepared with halal meat and other fresh ingredients.
3. Buy your own canvas bags to avoid spending extra money on paper bags.
4. It takes a while to get anywhere in the city, especially on public transportation. Plan accordingly.
5. Getting lost in the city sounds romantic…until it actually happens. It really helps to know where you’re going, and how to get there. For example, what bus would you need to take? What is the exact address?
6. There are lots of free events in the city (almost every week!) if you want to have fun on a budget.
7. The Mill San Francisco has ‘hipster veggie pizza’ night every Monday.
8. Mark Twain (probably) once said, ‘the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,’ and he was (probably) right. You will definitely need a sweater during the ‘summer months.’
9. Ocean Beach has ruins you can explore for free.
10. If you want to rent an apartment, look on the outskirts.
11. It’s easier to get around the city with a Muni pass, or a Lyft account.
12.Try to get a BART pass, as well.
13. Or a bike.
14. Or a motorized scooter.
15. You will get frustrated trying to use your own car. (And even more frustrated trying to park it.)
17. Union Square offers ice skating during the holiday season.
18. Bi-Rite Creamery serves the best ice cream in San Francisco.
19. The heart sculptures you see around the city are part of an art exhibit sponsored by the San Francisco General Hospital.
20. Burger Bar San Francisco offers amazing burgers and an overhead view of Union Square.
21. Speaking of Union Square, there’s almost always something interesting taking place there.
22. There are student discounts for almost everything. Take advantage of them, if possible.
By Seleba Ouattara
Opportunities and new people literally lie around every corner in the city. Do not pass them by. </p>