Skateboarding has always been more than a sport. It’s a lifestyle, spawned from a sub-culture built on freedom and self-expression. Nowhere is this truer than in Riverside, California, where the infectious energy of skaters define the city’s spirit.
Welcome to a world where ramps, rails, and tricks paint the streets. Where locals gather in their droves to parks in search of the next skate king. Riverside’s skateparks are not just concrete structures; they’re hubs of creativity and camaraderie.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hunt Park Skatepark
This sprawling 25,000 sqft park is a favourite among local skaters, who flock here to make the most of its wide concrete bowl, as well as a series of ramps, rails, ledges and stairs. It’s a wide and open space that can cater to large groups of people, making it perfect for beginners who don’t want to get in the way. The variety of obstacles also caters to every skill level, whether you’re a seasoned rider or taking your first steps. The park is free to use and open from dawn until dusk. If you’re looking to skateboard in Riverside, then Hunt Park is the beating heart of this city’s skate culture, and the perfect place to start.
Another spacious skatepark with a large street section is Jurupa, loved by locals for its versatility. There’s a wide selection of obstacles to test yourself on, including a funbox, kink rail and quater pipe. It’s openness makes it ideal for those who prefer street skating and transition tricks in one spot, but there is also a decent sized bowl here. The park is free to use and hours vary from 8am-10pm on weekends to 11am-10pm on weekdays.
Bobby Bonds Skatepark
This metal prefabricated park is a little smaller and doesn’t have a bowl, but it’s a particularly good spot for beginner and intermediate skaters to really build up their technique. There floor has plenty of slick and slide but is generally forgiving, while a series of flatrails, boxes, manual pads, mini ramps, funboxes and a staircase make for ample trick and skill-based practice. Like the others, it’s free to use and open all day, usually from 5am to 10pm.
Skate Shops in Riverside
As a city with a healthy skate culture, there are naturally a number of shops catering to local skaters. These tend to be run by supe passionate, friendly boarders who love to help skaters find their dream board. Whether you’re looking for your first skin or upgrading your old gear, you shouldn’t have too much trouble in Riverside.
Plenty of the shops also offer rental services, which are particularly useful for tourists or beginners. We recommend visiting LeRoy’s Boardshop, Crooks Skateboard Shop and Board Shops of America for all your skating needs. Remember, when in Riverside you’re also on the outskirts of LA, one of the the great skateboarding cities, with its own collection of iconic board shops.
Early mornings or late afternoons are the best times if you want to skate with less of a crowd.
Remember to invest in good safety equipment. Bumps and bruises are inevitable with skateboarding but do yourself a favor and wear a helmet, pads and wrist guards to help avoid serious injury.
Riverside’s skate community is welcoming. Don’t be shy; ask for advice or simply share a session with local skaters.
Explore Riverside’s various skate spots beyond skate parks. The city is full of hidden gems, from plazas to quiet alleys.
Enjoy the charm of this city without a board, too. There are lots of greenspaces, nearby hiking spots and cultural centres across town.
While larger cities like LA, San Diego and San Francisco might dominate the skate scene in California, it’s often the outside spots and hidden gems on the outskirts that offer the most authentic skate communities. That’s certainly the place with Riverside, a place with a laid-back vibe and a welcoming spirit, which punches above its wait in terms of the quality of its skateparks and skate shops. So if you’re in California and you’ve got a hankering for an ollie or two, head over to Riverside and immerse yourself in the warm welcome of this city’s skate scene.
This is an AI assisted article produced by Gethin Morgan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.