San Francisco is one of the quirkiest cities in the world. Naturally, the people that live there follow suit. If you’re a true San Franciscan, you’ll know these things to be true.
1. You bring a jacket wherever you go. It may start out sunny, but this place gets nippy quick. Also, the fog is named Karl. You follow him on Twitter and Instagram.
2. Picnics in Dolores Park are our version of the beach. Bathing suits welcome.
3. You call ahead to order an Ike’s Sandwich.
4. You avoid Fisherman’s Wharf like the plague, except to see the sea lions. They’re kind of adorable. Stinky, but adorable.
5. Never drive. You only ever use public transportation, but complain about it the whole time.
6. Take advantage of all of the live music that so characterizes the city.
7. You own a costume box, because almost all parties are costume parties.
8. You walk up giant hills like it’s a stroll in the park.
9. You wear workout clothes all day and don’t actually go to the gym.
10. You wait over two hours for brunch.
11. Eat burritos in the Mission, Chinese in the Sunset, Italian in North Beach.
12. You work for a start-up, even if that ‘start-up’ is Twitter or Yelp.
13. You never dress up for any occasion. Unless it’s a costume party – then it’s full-on.
14. You’ve gone to Burning Man, or you want to go to Burning Man, or you’ve been to Burning Man and decided never to go again. Either way, you have an opinion on the subject.
15. You do not wait in line for a cable car because you know to walk up a couple of blocks and hop on later.
16. On a cloudy day, you know to drive out of the city where there is probably a perfectly sunny day in the East Bay.
17. You only talk about new new apps. Lyft? That’s so old. Try magic carpet rides.
18. You have at least one piece of orange clothing in your closet for Giants games.
19. You’re totally open-minded in all things sexuality. Oh, you’re in a relationship with two girls and three guys? Cool.
20. You order a gluten-free, vegan, quinoa and kale-filled something or other, and the chef will always make it.
21. Doll out at least one paycheck on rent because, hey, we live in the greatest city in the world. Worth it.