If you’re a vegetarian, vegan, an allergy sufferer or just a lover of wholesome food, finding the appropriate recipes can sometimes be tricky. Help is at hand, however. Coming from places such as the USA, UK and Scandinavia, these bloggers share their nutritional expertise and tasty recipes with millions of avid readers, proving how fun, inspirational and easy healthy cooking can be.
If you want to be healthy but find cupcakes and cookies too irresistible, Chocolate-Covered Katie is the blog for you. Blogger Katie Higgins provides recipes for the sweet tooth which come in at an incredibly low calorie count, meaning you can indulge without regretting the consequences. She achieves this by using only non-artificial, vegan ingredients. One of the most appealing aspects of Katie’s work (online and in print) is the uninhibited joy sh transmits – she revels in eating chocolate and cake multiple times a day, and with her revolutionary approach, so can you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Winner of a coveted Red Magazine Blogger Award, Deliciously Ella documents the inspiring story of how Londoner Ella Woodward overcame a rare disease called Postural Tachycardia Syndrome simply by altering her diet. After deciding to try giving up meat, dairy, sugar, gluten and all artificial ingredients, she saw her life transformed as her health flourished and cooking became a passion. Her colorful recipes offer enticing options for all occasions, and her lifestyle articles and London cafe reviews are well worth reading too. She has just published a Deliciously Ella cookbook.
Oh She Glows
Another blog with an admirable recovery story behind it is Oh She Glows, a premier Internet hub for vegan recipes. Its founder, Angela Liddon, suffered from an eating disorder for over a decade, and transferring to a plant-based diet was one of the key milestones in her path to restoring her health. On the blog, she provides inspiration and hope for those experiencing similar problems, while exciting the taste buds of anyone interested in veganism from a more general health angle. Her recipes are appetizing, nutritious and enjoyably simple to make.
Eatori, the blog of bestselling food and travel author Tori Haschka, offers an exciting combination of healthy cooking and adventure. Having realized the dangers of overindulging in white carbohydrates as a teenager, Tori now devotes her life to making and unearthing low-carb dishes in practically every corner of the world. Her extensive archive of recipes allows readers to experience the health benefits for themselves, while the Travel section engagingly records her memories of eating out in fascinating cities, from Sydney to St Petersburg.
Green Kitchen Stories
The lively, color-filled Green Kitchen Stories is a vegetarian treasure trove with wonderful scope and detail. Written jointly by a couple – Swedish magazine art director David Frenkiel and Danish trainee nutritional therapist Luise Vindahl – it takes readers through all the animal-friendly culinary ideas you could want, always in an easy-to-read and entertaining style. David’s artistic know-how makes the photography particularly striking, while Luise’s health awareness ensures the recipes can be enjoyed without any guilt. The blog’s popularity won it a prestigious Saveur Magazine Award in 2013.
Cookie and Kate
Animal-lovers will be thrilled by Cookie and Kate, where stunningly photographed vegetarian recipes are made even more exciting by the regular appearances of a very cute little dog. Cookie is the half-schipperke, half-dachshund rescue mongrel who helps blogger Kate Taylor test out her culinary creations, lending the blog a delightful sense of fun and warmth. Kate’s main nutritional interest is whole foods (foods that are as natural and unprocessed as possible), so you can be assured that her recipes will nourish your body well.
Wholeheartedly Healthy takes a broader approach to health than many food blogs, providing wise lifestyle advice, helpful exercise tips, and recommendations of natural beauty products along with its collection of tasty recipes. The founder, health coach Laura Agar Wilson, knows from her personal experience of losing and gaining weight that rigid health strategies do not work for everyone, and that physical health cannot improve happiness if it is not supported by emotional well-being. Her recipes mix the sensible and the indulgent to form a diet readers can truly enjoy.
The Picky Eater
Health coach Anjali Shah redefines a much-used derogatory term in her blog The Picky Eater, where she asserts that scrutinizing ingredients and choosing nutrients carefully is sensible, not fussy. A committed advocate of natural ingredients and vegetarianism, she encourages readers to make healthier, less processed versions of the foods they already love, so that they can savor their meals without putting their bodies at risk. Her recipes incorporate numerous world cuisines so have very wide appeal, and her light-hearted, humorous writing style makes them a lot of fun to follow.
Kath Eats Real Food
One of the longest-established healthy cooking bloggers around is US dietitian and bakery owner Kath Younger, who writes the award-winning Kath Eats Real Food. She began blogging in 2006 to document her weight-loss efforts, but soon switched to posting recipes and cooking tips at the request of her family and friends, who had long avidly admired her culinary skills. Her archives feature a delightful myriad of suggestions for all times of day, giving you everything you need for a balanced, delicious diet. Her particular specialism, however, is scrumptious oatmeal breakfasts.
The Post Punk Kitchen
The Post Punk Kitchen is a little different from the other blogs here in that it is mainly a video blog, with founder and presenter Isa Chandra Moskovitz adding new episodes regularly to her extremely popular YouTube series of cooking, humor and music. Her recipes are all vegan and cover numerous international styles, proving that converting to veganism does not mean missing out on your favorite tastes and cuisines. Her website and books contain many further enticing ideas, and she is an enthusiastic ‘baketivist’, supporting various charities through her work.
If your interest in healthy cooking stems specifically from difficulties with gluten, look no further than Gluten-Free Goddess, a compendium of sweet and savory recipes made by celiac Karina Allrich. Karina suffered from the symptoms of severe gluten intolerance for over ten years before discovering they could be dispelled by a change in her diet, so she deeply understands the problems this ingredient can cause. She is committed to providing appealing gluten-free versions of well-loved staples every week, and has won a Daily Meal award for her expertise.
As the founder of 101 Cookbooks, Heidi Swanson, puts it, ‘When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking.’ She began blogging to record her attempt to live up to this statement, and it quickly became a delightful trove of personal creations adapted from the work of some of the greatest chefs around. There are many special diet recipes, and Heidi is now something of a health celebrity thanks to her belief in all-natural ingredients – the subject of her award-winning book, Super Natural Cooking.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.