The New York Jets (NFL), New York Yankees (MLB) and New York Red Bulls (MLS) play at home, while the New York Giants (NFL), New York Mets (MLB) and New York Liberty (WNBA) are on the road. New York City FC (MLS) play Sept. 10.
Odell Beckham Jr. and Victor Cruz are planning to wear special 9/11 cleats for Sunday’s season opener. pic.twitter.com/3YhbHwbC6i
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 9, 2016
Leagues and teams around the country, particularly NYC based teams who are home Sunday, have tributes and memorials planned to honor those fallen and those affected by the tragic events that occurred in 2001.
New York Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m.; MetLife Stadium)
- The Jets will hold a pregame tribute during their home opener against the Cincinnati Bengals to remember the victims of 9/11 on the 15th anniversary of the terror attacks.
- Members of Tuesday’s Children, the organization that supports youth, families and communities impacted by terrorism and traumatic loss, will participate in the tribute. In addition to forming the tunnel for player introductions, 200 members of Tuesday’s Children and 20 members of the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation will hold a full-field American Flag during the National Anthem.
- National Anthem will be sung by the Tuesday’s Children Chorus.
- PAPD Color Guard will be on field
- Players and coaches will wear NYPD, PAPD and FDNY hats with 9/11 memorial logo in remembrance, as well as helmet stickers for players and lapel pins for coaches.
- Representatives from FDNY, NYPD, PAPD and Stephen Siller Tunnel to Tower Foundation will be honorary captains along with members of the Jets 2001 team.
- The ceremony will feature a Jets 360 video with members of the 2001 New York Jets team remembering 9/11.
- The Jets will have a moment of silence.
- There will also be a NFL League-wide video featuring President Barack Obama.
- At halftime, the FDNY and NYPD youth football teams will participate in a scrimmage.
- Every fan will receive a 6” x 9” American Flag.
- We will not feature pyro till in-game. There will be no flyover.
- First Responder Hats will be sold at Jets Shop with all of the proceeds going to the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum
New York Red Bulls vs. D.C. United (1 p.m.; Red Bull Arena)
- There will be a large American Flag on the field for the National Anthem.
- There will be a moment of silence before kickoff to commemorate the 15th Anniversary of 9/11.
- Someone effected from 9/11 will be on the field to do the coin toss.
- Members of the NYPD will play US Soccer Heroes in a ‘Battle of the Finest’ soccer match post game. Both teams will be recognized either pregame or at halftime.