Learn Languages Online and Fast With Memrise
Memrise was founded in 2010 and has since been used by more than 50 million people in 189 countries | © Memrise
There’s no time like the present, and at present many of us have an awful lot of time on our hands. Here at Culture Trip, we’re spending ours by exploring new ways to make good on our mission: to inspire people to go beyond their cultural boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and culture special, unique and meaningful.
As part of this effort, we’ve teamed up with Memrise – a multi-language-learning platform that aims to teach users practical vocabulary that can be applied to a range of real-life scenarios when travelling abroad.
Learn languages online with Memrise
- Choose from more than 20 languages to learn on courses that focus on developing speaking and listening skills.
- All courses are crafted by a team of language experts.
- Course content highlights useful words and phrases that you’ll need to hold conversations in the real world.
- Proven scientific memory techniques help you learn fast and retain information.
- Memrise includes native-speaker audio and video clips to help build understanding of your chosen language and its uses in real life.
- Learn and review with the help of a powerful learning engine.
- Learn online or offline, as often as you like, on whichever device you prefer.
- Set daily goals and reminders to keep you motivated and on track.
How does it work?
Unlike traditional classroom courses and other language learning apps, Memrise takes a purely communicative approach. Its courses are made up of authentic native-speaker content, based on a range of real-life scenarios to give you a rich understanding of your chosen language.
This method is combined with a sophisticated learning engine that uses billions of data points to tailor your course to your individual learning speed and style, in order to keep you challenged and motivated.
Learn online or offline, as often as you like, on whichever device you prefer © Memrise
The three-step approach
Every course taught on the Memrise app and website follows a proven three-step approach to language learning.
The first step is to learn lots of words and phrases through a series of tests that range from multiple choice to simple tapping and typing. Once a word or phrase is placed in your long-term memory, the learning engine will customise your review sessions to ensure it stays fresh in your mind.
The second step is designed to make sure you remember all you’ve learned as you progress through the course levels (hence the catchy name). Your customised review sessions will slowly increase in difficulty with the help of audio and video clips featuring native speakers of your chosen language, using the language you’re learning.
The third step is where the speaking comes in. You’ll be encouraged to verbalise the language you’ve learned without worrying about getting it wrong in front of fellow learners. The pronunciation sessions provide smart feedback to help you improve quickly and build up confidence when speaking in real-life situations.
Then it’s all about rinse and repeat. As you learn more words and phrases, you’ll continue to immerse yourself in native-speaker content and practise pronunciation.
And if you’d like to incentivise your learning experience, you can set daily goals and reminders and join leader boards to compete against other learners.
What you need to know
• There are seven courses per language. Each course is composed of a series of levels that cover a specific topic or situation.
• You can choose your own course – beginners can start from scratch with Course 1, while intermediate learners are encouraged to start a little higher with Course 4.
• All courses are available on iOS and Android versions of the Memrise app, as well as the desktop and mobile website.
• Your progress will be synced across any platforms and devices you may use.
Every course taught on the Memrise app and website follows a proven three-step approach to language learning © Memrise
Memrise is an online language learning platform whose mission is to enrich people’s understanding of the world through the knowledge of languages. Founded in 2010, it has since been used by more than 50 million people across 189 countries.
Behind the scenes, there’s a dedicated team of linguists, language experts and developers working together to deliver an interactive learning experience that feels like the opposite of being stuck in a classroom.
Terms and conditions
This booking is made on Culture Trip’s T&Cs, but please note that the contract for the purchase of the experience is between you and Memrise per its terms.
Book with our partner and we will earn a small commission.