Moscow’s art scene is deliciously exciting and no longer limited to the obligatory the Tretiakov Gallery and Pushkin Museum. If you’re a dedicated art-lover, then the names of the Garage Museum and Artplay Design Centre probably ring a bell. But there are still some other gems worth discovering. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Founded in 1988 and located in a beautiful neoclassical building, the Solyanka State Gallery is just a five minute walk from the Kremlin. On display there are works by Russian classical artists, rare pieces from private collections and works by emerging young artists. Solyanka is an artist-run space that focuses on video, animation and performance art. The gallery is a host to the annual performance festival PYRFYR, has its own performance school and impressive educational projects.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the oldest and most influential private modern art galleries in Moscow, Regina Gallery was founded by Regina and Vladimir Ovcharenko in 1990. Ever since then the gallery has been promoting contemporary art, commissioning exciting cross-media projects and collaborating with leading Russian and foreign artists. Whenever you choose to come here, you’re sure to see some of the best exhibitions in Moscow. So if you find yourself near the Winzavod art district, Regina gallery is an absolute must-do.
Galerie Iragui had been a Paris-born nomadic gallery till 2008 when internationally acclaimed curator Ekatherina Iragui decided to settle down in Moscow. Since then the gallery has been mounting exhibitions of works by young French artists. Along with that it showcases art by European and established Russian creators.
An artwork in its own right, RuArts gallery is an absolute must-do for all art-lovers. Opened in 2004, this fascinating venue with state-of-the art interiors, described as “architectural contrast showers” features some of the finest works by modern artists you can find in Moscow. The gallery showcases works of Russian and international talent with a focus on photography, experimental media and video art.
K35 Art Gallery
K35 Art Gallery first opened its doors to public in 2008. Since then it’s been a host to over 20 exhibitions and art-projects, that feature works by both celebrated artists of the 20th century and emerging talent. The gallery is also known for its pop-up art projects in Moscow, Venice and Milan, highly participatory educational projects, and charity work.
MSK Eastside was founded in 2012 by an international team which includes gallerist Wildrik Batjes, photographer Ja’bagh Kaghado and artist ZAK Kaghado. The project proved a success and in 2016 the team opened the second gallery space right in the center of Moscow. MSK Eastside mostly works with young artists: here you’ll get a chance to discover new names and see emerging trends in contemporary painting, photography and installation. Beside that the gallery mounts spectacular exhibitions of established international talent.
The Lumiere Brothers Centre for Photography
Founded in 2010, the Lumiere Brothers center for photography comprises 1000 square meters of exhibition spaces dedicated to 20th-century Russian and foreign photography. Located in Moscow’s hippest cultural hub, based on the premises of a former chocolate factory Red October, this is the centre of gravity for all photography lovers, where you can not only admire the fantastic exposition, but also buy a rare book on photography or watch a groundbreaking documentary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.