In wintertime, the best way to discover Romania’s mountains is through their lively ski slopes. Offering stunning views and a laidback vibe, each slope also invariably has a nearby place where you can share adventures over a glass of mulled wine, made from a local recipe. Here are the best ski slopes in Romania to check out this winter.
Drumul Roşu – Poiana Braşov
Poiana Braşov ski resort, practically a neighbourhood of the city of Braşov, is home to Drumul Roşu, the longest beginners’ ski slope in the Carpathians. Approximately 1,020 meters above sea level, it has a length of 5.6 kilometres and an elevation of 650 meters. The best thing about it? It is connected to almost all other slopes in the resort. You can reach it directly via a gondola lift or by cable car.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pârtia Straja – Straja
Pârtia Straja, where pârtie means slope, is found in the ski resort of the same name in Hunedoara county. Starting on Straja Peak, at 1,868 meters, it has a length of 8.1 kilometres and can be reached via gondola lift and cable car.
Pârtia 1 -Transalpina Ski Resort
Unglamorously called Pârtia 1, the longest piste in Transalpina Ski Resort is 2.2 kilometres long and caters to intermediate level skiers. Starting at 1,850 meters, it goes down to 1,320 meters and on the way, offers stunning views over the Făgăraș and Parâng mountains.
Clăbucet – Predeal
One of the most popular mountain resorts in Romania in any season, Predeal is home to Clăbucet, the most famous ski slope in the country. Measuring two kilometres, the slope is reserved for intermediate level skiers.
Mogoșa – Şuior
Mogoșa slope is the most popular among the 12 ski slopes in Şuior montain resort, in Maramureş county. With a length of two kilometres, this intermediate level slope starts on the Mogoșa Peak, at 1,246 meters, and ends near the Fairies’ Lake.
Drumul de Vară – Sinaia
Drumul de Vară, with a length of 2,971 meters, is the longest piste in Sinaia, a quaint mountain city with beautiful villas and home to the fabulous Peleș Castle. An intermediate level ski slope, it starts at 2,020 meters and descends up to 1,626.
Sorica – Azuga
Azuga, the up-and-coming mountain resort that kickstarts the skiing season on Prahova Valley, is home to Sorica slope. With a length of two kilometres, this intermediate level slope is great for escaping the crowds and spending a relaxed day on your skis.
Băişoara Mare – Băişoara
Less than one hour away from Cluj-Napoca, Băișoara ski resort is a great destination for a one-day ski trip. Baişoara Mare, an intermediate level ski slope, has 1,200 meters and starts at an altitude of 1,500 meters.
Bâlea Cascadă – Bâlea Lac
This ski slope, known by its full name Pârtia Curba de nivel – Pilon 2- drum auto-Bâlea Cascadă, is the longest piste in the Carpathians. Recommended exclusively for expert skiers, it stretches over 14 kilometres and can be reached by cable car.
Pârtia Onceşti 1 – Păltiniş
The Onceşti 1 ski slope is the most popular among those in Păltiniş, Sibiu County, the oldest ski resort in Romania. Catering to intermediate skiers, it is around one kilometre long and starts its descent at 1,440 meters.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.