From the emerald green waters of the Danube, to the more than a dozen mountain peaks over 2,500 meters tall, via the spectacular mud volcanoes, underground salt mines and the Black Sea shore, and back to the endless maze of canals of the Danube Delta, the variety of Romania’s natural landscapes is astonishing. Check out our pick of the most beautiful.
The Danube enters Romania in Baziaș, southwestern Romania, and runs along the country’s southern border for 1,075 kilometres until it reaches the Black Sea. On its way it ripples through beautiful hills, creating one of the most spectacular natural landscapes in the country. Also here, carved in a mountain wall is the tallest rock relief in Europe, depicting Decebalus, the Dacian King, an important figure in Romanian history.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The tallest – peaking at 2,544 meters – and, according to some, most picturesque mountain range in the Carpathians, Făgăraș Mountains are a very popular destination year-round for hiking and skiing. Dotted with glacial lakes, the largest being Bâlea Lake, which is found at an altitude of 2,040 ft, it is also one Romania’s most photogenic mountain ranges.
Driving along the Transfăgărășan, dubbed ‘the best road in the world’ by former Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson, can be the experience of a lifetime. The views you get at 2,040 meters up are impressive, as is the fresh air and the surrounding rich, pristine nature. Built in only four years in the 1970s by Romania’s communist ruler Nicolae Ceaușescu, Transfăgărășan was originally designed as a strategic military route. Make sure you plan your visit in the summer months, as the road is only open in the summer months, due to heavy snow.
Standing in sharp contrast to the loud and crowded beaches of most of Romania’s Black Sea resorts, Vadu Beach is one of the country’s most beautiful wild beaches. A one-hour drive from Constanța, it gives everyone access to that winning mix of golden sands and beautiful, clear waters, plus the serenity that comes from being surrounded by nature.
Letea Forest, located in the Danube Delta, is the oldest natural reservation in Romania. Covering approximately 2,825 hectares between the Sulina and Chilia branches of the Danube, it creates a unique natural landscape which includes a mangrove reservation, the only one of its kind in Europe.
Found at an elevation of 1,201 ft, Pasul Tihuţa is a high mountain pass connecting Bistriţa with Vatra Dornei, in the Bârgău Mountains. Apart from its natural beauty, Tihuţa Pass is a must-visit for those really taken with the story of Count Dracula. Here, connoisseurs will know, Bram Stoker located the Borgo Pass, no less than the passage to the Count’s scary realm.
Hiking to Omu Peak, in Bucegi Mountains, is routinely described as ‘unforgettable’. Due to the fact that the route towards the 2,514 m peak is dotted with natural attractions such as Urlatoarea Waterfall, Babele, the Sphinx, Lake Bolboci and Ialomicioara Cave, the landscapes you encounter are very diverse and unique. What’s more, the panoramic views that welcome you on top are simply breathtaking!
Lacul Sfânta Ana
Found in the Ciomatu Mare massif of the Eastern Carpathians, the Sfânta Ana lake is the only Romanian lake found in the crater of a volcano. Covering 220,000 meters, the lake is supplied exclusively from rain water, which gives it a purity close to that of distilled water. Moreover, due to the low concentration of oxygen, no animals can survive in the lake. Part of Mohoș natural reservation, it offers one of the most unique landscapes in the country.
Visiting the mud volcanoes of Berca, Buzău County, is perhaps the closest thing you’ll ever get to a moonwalk. The bubbling craters that grow up to six meters and spit mud and gas are a spectacular sight, enhanced by the fact that on the entire natural reservation only two species of plants can grow.
The beauty of the natural landscapes offered by the picturesque village of Roșia Montană in the Apuseni Mountains are matched by the unique treasures found buried deep down in the belly of the mountain. Home to Roman-era mining galleries, the mountains also carry Romania’s biggest gold and silver deposits.
Descend 120 meters below ground, and look up and around: chances are you haven’t seen anything like this yet! A huge man-made cave inside a huge mass of salt blocks, Salina Turda has been used for salt mining since ancient times. Today, apart from spectacular underground landscapes, it also offers the unique opportunity to row on an underground salt lake, ride the Ferris wheel and even play basketball.
There’s something very soothing about the blue mountain ridges of the Apuseni Mountains, as well as its villages, scattered in valleys or on plateaus, where time really seems to have stood still. Lying north of the Mureş River, in northwestern Romania, they are home to numerous caves, including Scărișoara Cave, which hides one of the biggest underground glaciers in Europe.
The Danube Delta, the second biggest and best preserved river delta in Europe, covers 3,446 square meters. A true wildlife paradise, this maze of canals teeming with rich and unique species of trees and plants, is one of Romania’s most beloved natural treasures.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.