With a wide variety of landscapes, from the sandy beaches of the Black Sea and the mesmerising channels of the Danube Delta to awe-inspiring sceneries in the Carpathians, Romania is a dream destination for those who love spending their holidays outside among impressive landscapes. But for the best views, you will have to do a bit of climbing.
Wonderful views from Retezat Peak
The Retezat Mountains stand in the southern Carpathians and are one of Romania’s hiking pearls. A trek in the mountains is about amazing views, glacial origin lakes, steep slopes and a bucolic countryside. At an altitude of 2,482 metres (8,143 feet), Retezat Peak will bring you closer to the sky, following a four-hour trail sprinkled with spruce forests, meadows, lakes, and steep slopes. On your way, you can stop at the picturesque Stanisoara Lake to have a picnic and admire the charming landscapes. Once you arrive at the top, a strikingly beautiful 360-degree view will take your breath away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hike to the glacial landscapes of the Rodna Mountains
This one-day trek will delight a seasoned pro, but it may be a great challenge for the first-time hiker. An iconic route in the Rodna Mountains, the path towards Pietrosul Peak is filled with stunning landscapes. Starting from Borsa, the incline of the road, at first, is not too steep; however, the climb suddenly goes upwards towards the glacial Iezer Lake. Surrounded by Pietrosul Peak’s imposing cliffs, the meadow of Iezer Lake is a great place to catch your breath and have a picnic. From there, it will take about a half an hour to reach your destination. At 2,303 metres (7,555 ft), awe-inspiring landscapes will unveil before your eyes, and you will feel like you have the world at your feet.
A climb to Szekler’s Stone
A trip to Rimetea is a perfect mix of culture and stunning landscapes. Situated in a region that used to be populated by Szeklers, Rimetea village is a small jewel in the Apuseni Mountains protected by a monumental rock, the Szekler’s Stone or what locals say is a dormant giant. Climbing the steep slopes all the way up to the peak of Szekler’s Stone at 1,129 metres (3,704 ft) will take two to three hours of sustained effort, but the panoramic views over the Rimetea Valley and the picturesque village will charm you immediately. You can head back down or spend the whole day trekking, following the crest where you will eventually reach Coltesti village on your way down.
Hike to Postavaru Massif, a skiing paradise
In winter, Poiana Brasov is a paradise for winter sports lovers; however, in summer, it becomes a great place for those who want to catch some amazing views of Brasov from Postavaru Peak. This five-hour hike follows the curves of the ski slopes, forest roads and forest pathways that ascend from 1,000 metres (3,280 ft) up to 1,799 metres (5,905 ft). Once at Postavaru Peak, the whole Brasov Depression will be revealed, together with the surrounding massifs, and you will be able to catch it all in one look. Take out your camera for some incredible pictures.
Above the World’s Most Spectacular Road
According to Top Gear, the ‘World’s Best Road Trip’ is Transfagarasan or DN7C, a road that crosses Romania’s highest mountains, the Fagaras Mountains, also named the Transylvanian Alps. The Transfagarasan is 90 kilometres (56 miles) long, with sharp hairpin turns, goes up to 2,134 metres (7,000 ft) and offers bewildering landscapes. On top, Balea Lake and Balea Cascada are sculpted into glacial rocks. But if you want to hike to the ridge of the mountains, you have to follow a trail that will take you from the Balea Hut to the peak, on top of the world. The stunning views will leave you in awe, and you will fall in love with Romania immediately.
A path towards nature’s wonders
In the Bucegi Mountains, Mother Nature has carved a look-alike Egyptian Sphinx and two lovely grandmas, Babele, in stone. They are one of the main natural attractions in Romania. Above the Sphinx and Babele is Omu Peak, the highest one in the Bucegi Mountains, where even more spectacular landscapes wait for you. You can reach the top of it from Busteni, following a path that will take you up to 2,514 metres (8,248 ft) in approximately five hours. Following narrow valleys, beautiful meadows, steep slopes and a winding canyon, you will see plenty of views, but the one at the top is truly breathtaking.
Hike to Iancu’s Cross
This easy-to-follow hike in the Apuseni Mountains will take you up to Marisel village’s plateau, where fairytale landscapes and centuries-old stories are part of the daily life of locals. Iancu, or Avram Iancu, originally from the Apuseni Mountains, is considered one of the national heroes of the 1848 revolution. You’ll find his cross at 1,200 metres (3,937 ft), and the pathways lead you through beautiful forests and lovely meadows, rewarding your effort with scenic panoramas of the Apuseni Mountains. For three hours, you won’t be able to take your eyes from the charming surroundings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.