Known as the city of seven hills, Rome is filled with terraces, gardens and parks which offer incredible views of the city skyline. Every corner of this city tells a story and every vista is a work of art. As you wander through its labyrinthine streets and iconic landmarks, one thing becomes abundantly clear: the city’s beauty is best admired from above. Visit these spots to gaze over the domes, bell towers and monuments that make the Eternal City one of the most beautiful capitals in the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tucked away in the elegant Aventino neighbourhood, the idyllic Giardino degli Aranci (Orange Garden) offers a staggering view over Rome’s skyline. Dominated by St Peter’s dome, the entire cityscape is laid out at your feet – it’s the ideal place to take panoramic photos of the Eternal City. The garden, filled with elegant Roman pines and the eponymous orange trees, is located within a gated complex so be sure to check the opening hours. It’s usually open until dusk, so pack a picnic and watch the sun set over the city. The garden is also right next door to one of Rome’s worst-kept secrets; the Keyhole of the Knights of Malta. Peek through this keyhole and you’ll discover a perfectly-framed view of Michelangelo’s magnificent dome.
Overlooking the lively, authentic Roman district of Trastevere, this is the second highest hill in the city. Make the climb up and you’ll be rewarded with an expansive view of Rome; dramatic sunsets illuminate each of the city’s many cupolas. Try and identify the city’s sites from above – see if you can spot the majestic Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II. While you’re up there, there’s more to see than just incredible views of the city: don’t miss checking out the 16th-century Fontana dell’Acqua Paola and the small Renaissance temple of Tempietto del Bramante.
When in Rome you can’t miss a visit to its most famous park: Villa Borghese. There’s plenty to see and do within the park itself, from admiring classical sculpture and paintings within the opulent Galleria Borghese, discovering a replica of the Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, and strolling around a lake filled with swans. It’s an oasis of green in Italy’s crowded capital, and also affords a beautiful view of the city itself. As you make your way through the park, be sure to stop at Pincio Terrace, overlooking Neoclassical Piazza del Popolo, for a picture-perfect view over Rome.
Beautiful as the views from the Orange Garden and the Aventine Keyhole are, you’ll often find yourself vying for the best position among the crowds. To escape the herd, head to this lesser-known viewpoint: Terrazza Caffarelli. Located on the Capitoline Hill, which houses the Capitoline Museums, it still manages to remain relatively peaceful. When you climb the ramped staircase, turn right instead of continuing into the centre of the piazza. You’ll come across a small pebbled garden that looks out over the Jewish quarter and a number of cupolas, and has an impressive view of the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II from a unique angle. There’s a café, also called Terrazza Caffarelli, located just behind the garden, if you’d like to sit and admire the view with a glass of good wine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.