There is nothing more fascinating than aimlessly wandering through Florence. Stuffed with several works of the finest art at every turn, a simple walk can be transformed into a whole adventure. Santa Croce is among the most popular areas both for tourists and locals, offering a wide variety of things to do. Let’s check out the very best.
The tombs in Santa Croce
Also called the church of “Italian Glories,” Santa Croce is widely known as the resting place of many renowned Italians. Visit the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, and Rossini and pay special attention to the monument dedicated to Dante Alighieri, one of the greatest poets that ever lived. Address & telephone number: Piazza Santa Croce 16, Florence
When you’re done seeing all the breathtaking pieces of history and art, a separate charge can gain you admission to the Museo dell’Opera. Spend some time there and see Cimabue’s wonderful Crucifix, nowadays a symbol for the floods in 1966 and the city’s recovery from the disaster.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Grab a snack
After an exciting sightseeing, it is time for a quick lunch break. At Caffè Mario you will satisfy your hunger with a delicious slice of pizza or panino. If you prefer something sweet, you will find some amazing pastries. Take a coffee to go or a freshly squeezed orange juice and continue strolling around the neighborhood. Address & telephone number: Piazza Santa Croce 2, Florence, +39 055 234 4877
Visit the library
Near the piazza, you have the chance to visit one of the city’s oldest libraries. Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale was created out of the private collection of Antonio Magliabechi. Altough it survived the flood of 1966, it suffered serious damage and is still being restored. Address & telephone number: Piazza Dei Cavalleggeri 1, Florence, +39 055 249191
La Scuola di Cuoio
Santa Croce district can satisfy not only art but also shopping lovers. Well-known for the several shops and stalls encircling the piazza, this is the place to find good bargains on leather goods like bags and accessories. If you are more interested in the process of their creation, you can as well visit La Scuola di Cuoio, a renaissance workshop, to see how animal skins are worked by hand to create the final product. Address & telephone number: Via S. Giuseppe 5r, Florence, +39 055 244533
Despite the great importance of the tombs, there is much more to see in Florence. The largest Franciscan church in the world is also the home to some artistic gems. Take a look at Donatello’s sculpture works, the magnificent 13th-century frescoes by Giotto, and gaze at the oldest example of Florentine stained glass in the windows. Address: Piazza Santa Croce 16, Florence
Attend an event
Filled with people night and day, Santa Croce is definitely one of the city’s hot spots. It’s no wonder why – apart from the frequent markets taking place each year – there are a lot of evening concerts and performances as well. Whatever is happening, the talented local artists will surely amaze you.
Watch a soccer match
Calcio Storico is an early form of soccer, thought to have its origins in Piazza Santa Croce and believed to have started as a revival of the Roman harpastum. Visit the place on the third week of June and get the unique opportunity to watch the opening ceremony.
Dinner with a view
Cafés and restaurants can be found everywhere around the corner from the piazza making it the most visited neighborhood for the nightlife. Enjoy a perfect end of a day at one of the cozy nearby bars. In case you are a wine lover, do not miss Note di Vino, a small wine bar with a lovely view, which also serves authentic Tuscan dishes for a relaxing, delightful evening. Opening hours: Mon-Sun 10am-11pm Address & telephone number: Borgo dei Greci 4, Florence, +39 339 738 6548 By Maria Menegaki
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.